Am I being conned by my bike insurance company?

Saudiq

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a hole or just paint removed. Can't really see it clearly. Although just from the looks of it, the LBS may have been correct in their report lol. Despite how strange an incident it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is no way that your chain got stuck between the chainrings and the frame and you didn't notice.

Looking at the damage, that would've necessitated serious elbow grease to get the chain unstuck or a removal of the cranks.

There is no way that your chain got stuck between the chainrings and the frame and you didn't notice.

Looking at the damage, that would've necessitated serious elbow grease to get the chain unstuck or a removal of the cranks.

Agreed, there is no way that you could not have noticed that once it had happened. 

If I do a very wet Mtb race and all my components need replacing afterwards I would not think to claim from my insurance, similarly if I grind up a steep climb and my chain breaks and rips off my RD. My view is that this is wear and tear. I snapped a saddle in half a few weeks ago (landed very hard with my butt on the saddle and heard a "pop"). R2 200 later and I'm off again, but I may never have kids again if I keep on popping saddles like that. (Yes, it did hurt!).

i think you had a valid claim.....

Not entirely sure (I may be somewhat mechanically capable) however to give context, I'm 88kg and I was jump standing big gear intervals and I was doing around 800 - 900 watts, then switched to small blade when chain drop and basically got jammed in between frame and crank. Took substantial force to get the crank loose. This may have been what caused the damage

Youve just said here it took substantial force to get it loose. I cannot fathom how you could not have noticed that damage. It's not something small as well.

Youve just said here it took substantial force to get it loose. I cannot fathom how you could not have noticed that damage. It's not something small as well.

To me, in my untrained opinion, this would be what is determined as "consequential damage"

it's like if you crash your car, but drive it away from the scene of the accident. If the motor blows even 5m down the road - sorry boet, you drove it away. You tried to get home and the damage caused by the accident was sufficient to cause the motor to blow once you drove it. 

If the motor blows as a result of the accident itself, that's a different situation. But as soon as you drive it off, and THEN the motor blows, the blowage was caused by driving it away. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Not entirely sure (I may be somewhat mechanically capable) however to give context, I'm 88kg and I was jump standing big gear intervals and I was doing around 800 - 900 watts, then switched to small blade when chain drop and basically got jammed in between frame and crank. Took substantial force to get the crank loose. This may have been what caused the damage

Didn't see this post.

My 2c: Just give up on the claim.

It's common sense not to shift the front derailleur under heavy load. That was your mistake. Not an accident. Going bananas on the chain to get it unstuck probably worsened the damage to the frame.

Scape a few pennies together and send the frame off to a reputable carbon repairer.

To me, in my untrained opinion, this would be what is determined as "incidental damage"

it's like if you crash your car, but drive it away from the scene of the accident. If the motor blows even 5m down the road - sorry boet, you drove it away. You tried to get home and the damage caused by the accident was sufficient to cause the motor to blow once you drove it. 

If the motor blows as a result of the accident itself, that's a different situation. But as soon as you drive it off, and THEN the motor blows, the blowage was caused by driving it away. 

Your example is consequential damage and yes it is an exclusion under the vehicle section but not under the All Risk section.

If the chain got stuck and you damage the bike by removing it, then it is a claim. It was an accident, you didn't intend to damage your bike.

Look on your policy, If something is not specifically excluded, then it is covered- remember this is on an All Risk basis. Fortunately for you, you have someone in your corner that will make sure you don't have these sort of hassles. :whistling:

However, to my untrained eye it does look like that damage did happen over time and not just from one incident- I might be wrong, I'm no expert in this.

Your example is consequential damage and yes it is an exclusion under the vehicle section but not under the All Risk section.

If the chain got stuck and you damage the bike by removing it, then it is a claim. It was an accident, you didn't intend to damage your bike.

Look on your policy, If something is not specifically excluded, then it is covered- remember this is on an All Risk basis. Fortunately for you, you have someone in your corner that will make sure you don't have these sort of hassles. :whistling:

However, to my untrained eye it does look like that damage did happen over time and not just from one incident- I might be wrong, I'm no expert in this.

Thanks. Edited to reflect correct terminology. 

And great. But then that's why I pay for it. So I have cover for all instances. 

Agreed, there is no way that you could not have noticed that once it had happened. 

Guys, I'm not entirely sure what the relevance of whether I saw it or not is? To answer the question though, I know it looks fairly easy from the bottom and one pic with the crank off but when you're looking from the side the hole is hidden by the crank.

Also, please bear in mind:

1. I've not said my insurance is wrong, I didn't come out blasting them for crappy service which is why I've purposefully left out details of the company. I've asked a question from fellow cyclist so that I can decide if this would've happened with an big/well established insurance company which means that whether I'm paying R1 or R300 the outcome would've been the same. Also, if there is any grounds for me to challenge this? 

2. I'm not trying to rip off my insurance and if they back this up this decision with logic, then I'll do what I need to do to get going again. 

Edited by Saudiq

Guys, I'm not entirely sure what the relevance of whether I saw it or not is? To answer the question though, I know it looks fairly easy from the bottom and one pic with the crank off but when you're looking from the side the hole is hidden by the crank.

Also, please bear in mind:

1. I've not said my insurance is wrong, I didn't come out blasting them for crappy service which is why I've purposefully left out details of the company. I've asked a question from fellow cyclist so that I can decide if this would've happened with an big/well established insurance company which means that whether I'm paying R1 or R300 the outcome would've been the same. Also, if there is any grounds for me to challenge this? 

2. I'm not trying to rip off my insurance and if they back this up this decision with logic, then I'll do what I need to do to get going again. 

See HBO's post above. He's my broker, I'm with Santam. In his opinion this would have been a claimable event on my policy.

Thanks. Edited to reflect correct terminology. 

And great. But then that's why I pay for it. So I have cover for all instances. 

Good, I'm setting you up for an increase :ph34r:

(only joking)