Race report: National MTB XCO Series Rhebokskloof

Kylie

On Saturday 25 February, Rhebokskloof wine farm outside Paarl hosted the first 2017 LOAD National MTB XCO Series, in combination with the second event of Subaru Cape Town WC XCO MTB Series, and the World Junior World Series. The UCI points on offer, combined with the fact that a large number of pro riders have escaped the clutches of the European winter to train in Stellenbosch, saw a seriously stacked field line up in the Elite men's and women's categories, as well as some strong foreign contenders added to the mix in the junior field. This resulted in the biggest turnout ever recorded for a SA Cup event.

Click here to view the article

I can supply a video of said disagreement with the granite slab.

Awesome report!

Yes, front brake + loose dusty rockslab - speed = fun

That granite slab was damn treacherous. I walked the line with a lesser skilled young rider on Friday. Take it too high, and you were destined to slide on the loose gravel. Take it too low, and it would force you off line for the next few rocks. You had to take it in a very narrow line to line you up correctly.

Looks like a tough track.

On the granite, granite has more grip than sand stone - ask any rock climber. There is lots of it on Lions Head and the trails there are pretty tech but made easier because the rock is granite and therefore grippy as anything. Was it covered in dust? 

Looks like a tough track.

On the granite, granite has more grip than sand stone - ask any rock climber. There is lots of it on Lions Head and the trails there are pretty tech but made easier because the rock is granite and therefore grippy as anything. Was it covered in dust? 

Dust, too much on the brakes, & not enough weight on the front wheel. I can attest to the grip of the granite- it shredded my skin like a grater 

Dust, too much on the brakes, & not enough weight on the front wheel. I can attest to the grip of the granite- it shredded my skin like a grater 

Ouch, yes I can imagine...

First photo, bottom right, Tristan remounting after his wipeout. Glorious. 

I think it was a sneaky race tactic: get the competition to let their guard down and then attack from the back  :rolleyes:  

Racing incident, hindsight is a beautiful thing and actually a skill in itself to assess forward to the next event. 

Good race report and event, goes to show that we really need to kick Gauteng XCO back into touch.