Biltong

AlanD

Will never again buy Crown Spices Chili bite mix. Tried the mix from King Meat deli and there is no comparison at all to be made.

The crown spice has a base smell of Curry and it does not work for me at all.

The king Meat Deli spice came out to about the same price.

Have one batch that I will hang in the morning, then will give the biltong mix from Kings Meat a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mind the chili mix as a base to start with. Add a few extra spices to it and some peri peri and it comes out pretty lekker.

• 4 weeks later...

Got another 5kg silverside to start a new batch of Biltong today.

Most of the 5kg will be chili bytes and the rest pure biltong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 months later...

I found the biltong maker and promptly went out to get required spices and meat. Firat batch in the UK now hanging. Hope it turns out good.

Nice! just watch the humidity (PS I have no idea what your weather is like atm). I found that on the West Coast the big pieces like that to go moldy before they dry 

Nice! just watch the humidity (PS I have no idea what your weather is like atm). I found that on the West Coast the big pieces like that to go moldy before they dry

Yeah, im worried about the thickness of them. Maybe i need to put the light in to help dry it quicker.

I found the biltong maker and promptly went out to get required spices and meat. Firat batch in the UK now hanging. Hope it turns out good.

I'll have to send you some oros................

Yeah, im worried about the thickness of them. Maybe i need to put the light in to help dry it quicker.

I've never made biltong in constant humid conditions , but adding just a pinch of bicarb to your mix may help. It's what we do if we have wet weather up here.

Edited by Blokman

I'll have to send you some oros................

Lol...was looking at the mix juice they have here to put with the pic but it was just not the same. I actually miss my Oros...need to find a saffa shop that sells it..haha

I have the Mellerware biltong maker. My fan packed up again. Any idea where one would be able to get these type of fans?

They dry better if not hung upside down.........