94.7 vs Argus

janus123

IMHO, Argus starts at the bottom of Suikerbossie and ends at the top of Suikerbossie.

If you get to the top feeling strong, then it is an easy roll in to the finish.

Of course, there are the elements such as wind etc, but all races have those.

I have a sneaky suspicion this one's gonna be windy...The wind has been relatively quiet the last two weeks, so I guess from that perspective it will have a good blow somewhere next week before it finally succumbs to autumn.

IMHO, Argus starts at the bottom of Suikerbossie and ends at the top of Suikerbossie.

If you get to the top feeling strong, then it is an easy roll in to the finish.

Of course, there are the elements such as wind etc, but all races have those.

In 2014 the wind blew so hard around Chappies that the media chopper had to divert as it could not fly in those conditions there. I'm pretty sure Jozi has nothing on the Kaapse Dokter.

Course layout the 94.7 is tougher. As already mentioned there are far fewer recovery options than on the Argus route. The Argus has a specific set of climbs rather than the constant rolling hills. If you're targeting a time and you need to stay in the front 10% of the group you're seeded in to make that time than the Argus could turn out to be tougher to ensure that you have the legs to go when the group surges and attempts to shake off the baggage. These tend to happen in the last third of all the climbs until little chappies, when the group goes hard from the base there and then presses on over chappies itself to ensure that only the strong are left for suikerbossie and the run into the finish to chase down the time. That's before you factor in the wide range of environmental factors that could be present on the day. A windy Argus will eat the life out of you if you do not know how to ride clever in a group. Those kind of elements are practically never experienced at 94.7

Ultimately they are different races and if you've done a 94.7 you will have the legs to ride an Argus! That should be your main takeaway!

The 94.7 is tougher.  That is a known fact.

The reason?

• Less spectators = Less cheering

= less girls to flash you

= less free beers next to the road.

• Up and down all the time (already mentioned)
  • Warmer
  • Boring scenery

If the Argus ended at the top of Sbossie (+-same distance as 94.7), there would be tons of sub 3's and everyone would probably agree that it is easier than the 94.7.

Until you get a really windy day.....

In 2014 the wind blew so hard around Chappies that the media chopper had to divert as it could not fly in those conditions there. I'm pretty sure Jozi has nothing on the Kaapse Dokter.

Very true. Remember doing Argus way back in 1989 or 1990 when the wind was so bad going up Smitswinkel, that the officials were pulling all the unconventional cycles off the road.

Agreed.  It was my second and had trained hard hoping for a sub 3.30 until I found myself doing 19kmh downhill into Noordhoek and then nearly getting blown over with my deep-sections coming into Camps Bay!  Finally got my 3.25 last year.  This year.....3.20?????

Edited by Dazshell

The 94.7 is tougher. That is a known fact.

The reason?

• Less spectators = Less cheering
= less girls to flash you

= less free beers next to the road.

• Up and down all the time (already mentioned)
  • Warmer
  • Boring scenery
They're not flashing you, they're flashing your wheels.

If we take the weather out of the equation then 94.7 is tougher - it is SO boring.

At the Argus you have the beautiful ocean to look at going up Chappies. At Suikerbossie there are so many supporters, you forget how bad the climb is. At Steyn City there are no support and you suffer in silence.

The problem is that it doesn't matter how well prepared you are for Argus, if it is a windy day, you are going to suffer... I am still recovering from the 2009 Argus.

I will definitely recommend the Argus to anyone, it is such a beautiful race and the support is great. The only reason why I stopped riding the Argus is that it becomes a very expensive weekend coming from Gauteng.

Done both numerous times and I've found 94.7 tougher. As someone mentioned earlier get to top of Suikebossie and you can literately free wheel the rest of the way. 

Done both numerous times and I've found 94.7 tougher. As someone mentioned earlier get to top of Suikebossie and you can literately free wheel the rest of the way. 

'cept for that bit called Cramps Bay...that sure is a pain in the arse (and the legs).