Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

I have no problem with an unmodified pedal assist e-MTB.  As Hairy pointed out above, however, these things can be modified and then become more like a motorcycle which I would definitely have a problem with on the trails.

I wouldn't be caught dead on one currently, but in 30 years time when my legs can't get me up the mountain and I still have a craving for riding down one as fast as possible, I would consider one.  Or a helicopter.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the same os going to happen with eBikes as with disc brakes.

First eBike that crashes into a normal rider...... massive outcry.

Like I said, the technologies are coming, we need to find a way to embrace it.

Except the camel filter is far worse for you than the vape is. 

Im surprised you are using this internet thing, would have expected you would call that some kind of wankery too.

Firm grasp for the obvious there!

So what exactly is your point, because I cringed way too much at that little jibe of yours to notice?

I think the same os going to happen with eBikes as with disc brakes.

First eBike that crashes into a normal rider...... massive outcry.

Like I said, the technologies are coming, we need to find a way to embrace it.

Those with tin foil hats will say you are biased due to your line of work :P

No point in debating this as ebikes are here to stay.....

We should rather ask whether assholes on normal bikes are allowed on the mountain (or trail, road for that matter)?

Pinkbike did two nice pieces on this topic. Arguments for and against e-MTBs. I would suggest all to read this before replying further to this thread.

Argument for: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/opinion-e-bikes-are-good-for-the-sport-2017.html

Argument against: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/do-we-really-need-e-bikes-opinion-2017.html

I suspect most lip-flappers on this thread hasn't even been within spitting distance of an e-MTB in real life, nevermind even swung a leg over one.

Pinkbike did two nice pieces on this topic. Arguments for and against e-MTBs. I would suggest all to read this before replying further to this thread.

Argument for: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/opinion-e-bikes-are-good-for-the-sport-2017.html

Argument against: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/do-we-really-need-e-bikes-opinion-2017.html

I suspect most lip-flappers on this thread hasn't even been within spitting distance of an e-MTB in real life, nevermind even swung a leg over one.

You would like people to gain facts and understanding before debating on the internet?

Next you will want people to bring facts to the Disc debate on the road? 

Its much easier making up facts to fit with your emotions!

Can we say they are e-moral? 

Ba-dum-tis. Have a cool Monday. 

HA! Luke.... I unashamedly had the same dad joke up my sleeve!

I just think everyone wants what they want but they aren't willing to give up long boozy fridays and put in the hard work.

As for the age thing.... I give you Steve Shapiro... in his 60's and still seen cruising Cape Towns trails on a fully rigid steel single speed.

Please, E-bikes typify the immediate gratification and inability to use hard work for progression.

They are the 24 year old graduate who has worked at your firm for 9 months, done 4 things without messing them up who goes home and tells his friends his boss is a dithering old 45 year old fool with no idea what he is doing in bicycle form.

I personally don't have an issue with guys using them or even doing strava on them as long as they don't start messing up the trails more than 500 overweight people dragging their back brakes through berms on race day.

Much like those over inflated youths, one has to learn to deal with them and untie those knickers. Being stressed or annoyed about something that really doesn't matter is just pointless

It is when these start appearing on our trails that I will be very concerned.

http://www.greyp.com/

No need to pedal

You can pedal if you want, assist the motor or ride the G12S like a motorcycle. It will reach 70 km/h without any assistance from the rider. You can forget about sweating ever again while riding up a hill!

I think an e-bike is great for long adventurous rides on holiday..........or so that your Wife can keep up with you and save your marriage  :whistling: