Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bicycle, in its purist form. Whatever that means. Is in itself physical assistance. 

Its a mode of transportation far more efficient than just walking. Its why it exists as a tool to begin with. I can cover a greater distance quicker and with less effort while using a bicycle as apposed to just running. How well a bicycle does this depends on the bike in question. And many variables are to be considered. We've seen bikes become lighter, the range of drive trains have become wider, wheels got bigger, yada yada yada. And all these improvements have the same objective. To minimize input and maximize output. Why then, are e-bikes not just seen as the next logical step in our progression along the curve of improving this efficiency? 

A bicycle, in its purist form. Whatever that means. Is in itself physical assistance. 

Its a mode of transportation far more efficient than just walking. Its why it exists as a tool to begin with. I can cover a greater distance quicker and with less effort while using a bicycle as apposed to just running. How well a bicycle does this depends on the bike in question. And many variables are to be considered. We've seen bikes become lighter, the range of drive trains have become wider, wheels got bigger, yada yada yada. And all these improvements have the same objective. To minimize input and maximize output. Why then, are e-bikes not just seen as the next logical step in our progression along the curve of improving this efficiency? 

The problem with that logic is that we have already maximised the minimum input/maximum output problem - we invented a motorbike. No input - all output.

If we are forced to give it a name along the "efficiency improving line" then the ebike would be a gap closing regression I guess....

It seems the E-Roadbike will be next. Guess the KOm on Suikerbossie will be out of reach from now on. Ban them from Strava, it will make flagging rides a nightmare.

post-27211-0-80448000-1541593213_thumb.jpeg

It seems the E-Roadbike will be next. Guess the KOm on Suikerbossie will be out of reach from now on. Ban them from Strava, it will make flagging rides a nightmare.

There was one of those at Shova this year.

That is easily distinguishable as an ebike.

Look at the new Orbea Gain...ebike indeed  ;)  

post-25449-0-28387600-1541594754_thumb.jpg

I think the most ludicrous thing is how that road bike looks, well like a normal road bike (mechanical doping anyone?). At least most eMTBs dont fool anyone. 

The problem with that logic is that we have already maximised the minimum input/maximum output problem - we invented a motorbike. No input - all output.

If we are forced to give it a name along the "efficiency improving line" then the ebike would be a gap closing regression I guess....

You're clearly never raced a motorbike because you have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think the thing rides itself? Go google MX & Enduro riders HR outputs during training at racing, it makes cycling feel like playing chess.

Why put pedals/drive train on e-bikes anyway? I am sure they can shave at least a kilo or so off the bike. Put the motor in the rear hub and use the "saved weight" for a bigger battery. That way you don't have to sweat at all.

you sure that HR is not a result of the "I can't believe I am still alive" factor when hammering on the MX/Enduro bikes :P

You're clearly never raced a motorbike because you have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think the thing rides itself? Go google MX & Enduro riders HR outputs during training at racing, it makes cycling feel like playing chess.

worst place to put weight on a bike, especially a dually

Why put pedals/drive train on e-bikes anyway? I am sure they can shave at least a kilo or so off the bike. Put the motor in the rear hub and use the "saved weight" for a bigger battery. That way you don't have to sweat at all.

worst place to put weight on a bike, especially a dually

What does a motor weigh? A wide range cassette can easily weigh 500 grams (if you do not buy the R6k models)

The only ebike related arrangement I would like to see is an increased trail permit fee for them.

My argument is that if they can do more km's/up-down laps per time unit or per day, then they do more trail damage and need to contribute more to the maintenance of that. I don't see why I should subsidize their fun.

Other than that, "toggle that switch" and enjoy the spin....

Edited by Zatopek

You clearly never played chess because you have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think the pieces move themselves?  Go google chess players HR outputs during play, it makes MX feel like riding e-bikes.

strava already caters for e bikes

on strava there is a pre set drop down for choosing type of ride as an e bike ride

The amount of energy the rider expends versus the motor is minuscule.

People make watts - engines make kilowatts.

To quote a recent poster - you have no idea watt you're talking about  :devil: