Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

The only ebike related arrangement I would like to see is an increased trail permit fee for them.

My argument is that if they can do more km's/up-down laps per time unit or per day, then they do more trail damage and need to contribute more to the maintenance of that. I don't see why I should subsidize their fun.

Other than that, "toggle that switch" and enjoy the spin....

That makes logical sense, just like heavier vehicles on the road contribute to higher maintenance costs, thereby attracting higher toll fees.

strava already caters for e bikes

on strava there is a pre set drop down for choosing type of ride as an e bike ride

That is true, but much like the multiquote feature provided for by bikehub, people are too lazy to change an option on both platforms

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly never played chess because you have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think the pieces move themselves?  Go google chess players HR outputs during play, it makes MX feel like riding e-bikes.

I googled it because you got me thinking :whistling:  Their HRs simply spike during pressure plays but they don't remain elevated at all :P

It seems the E-Roadbike will be next. Guess the KOm on Suikerbossie will be out of reach from now on. Ban them from Strava, it will make flagging rides a nightmare.

well, as I understand e-bikes, they offer assistance up to a maximum speed. i think L1e-A offer assistance up to 25kmh... seeing as the strava KOM average speed is >30kmh, i doubt it'll be an issue... 

A Spaz store in town changes the default Euro setting from 25km to 35km, which is the USA regulated setting. This then still keeps the bike within the manufacturers warranty scope.

Now I know from some riders it is very simple to further de regulate the speeds on the bikes and many do increase the assistance speed.

well, as I understand e-bikes, they offer assistance up to a maximum speed. i think L1e-A offer assistance up to 25kmh... seeing as the strava KOM average speed is >30kmh, i doubt it'll be an issue... 

A Spaz store in town changes the default Euro setting from 25km to 35km, which is the USA regulated setting. This then still keeps the bike within the manufacturers warranty scope.

Now I know from some riders it is very simple to further de regulate the speeds on the bikes and many do increase the assistance speed.

That is a hairs breadth from being full moto. 

E-bikes are not only for the ‘fat & lazy’ ! They certainly do not mess up any trails and clearly should and will not compete in races other than their own category.As someone also previously mentioned,they have a maximum speed assistance of 25km/ hr which won’t therefore always be of assistance.

If it is going to get more people riding bikes then what is the problem !

Rather than retiring from cycling due to age/health issues etc,cyclists now have another option.

They are not totally dissimilar to one cyclist having a R5000 bike with lousy components and weighing a ton as opposed to someone else they are competing against with a R50 000 or even R100000 bike.

They are part of the future in cycling,so let’s accept that and ALL have some fun.

This thread...

Someone comes in and says: stop hating e-bikes

Someone else: we don't hate ebikes

Someone else: e-bikes only assist up to 25km/hr

Someone else: you can deregulate them

Someone else: they are fun, allow new/fat/old people to cycle

General consensus is reached: e-bikes are cool, fun, should be allowed on the trails, just don't race them.

Someone else who has not bothered to read the thread: STOP HATING EBIKES!

And so on and so on and so on... will this thread ever stop?

FFS, if you wanna comment on the topic at least read a few pages back.

This thread...

General consensus is reached: e-bikes are cool, fun, should be allowed on the trails, just don't race them.

Or.... Wait to read a few pages later.

This thread...

Did you just assume my consensus?!

Did you just assume my consensus?!

Consensus is a scale, not binary, I shouldn't have assumed where you (they/them) fall on the continuum. I apologize.

The patriarchy has endoctrinated my thinking.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

That makes logical sense, just like heavier vehicles on the road contribute to higher maintenance costs, thereby attracting higher toll fees.

That is true, but much like the multiquote feature provided for by bikehub, people are too lazy to change an option on both platforms

So does this mean they will get people to weight in at the start when you pitch up at the trails?  I mean someone skinny is riding the trail vs a overweight person then it will also be "fair" for them to be charged different.  

What about the back brake brigade?  Do they not damage the trails more?

Consensus is a scale, not binary, I shouldn't have assumed where you (they/them) fall on the continuum. I apologize.

The patriarchy has endoctrinated my thinking.

I feel violated *sniff* 

#metoo #partiarchymustfall

I admit to feeling  irritated when the lady and her partner cruised past me on a climb because they had motor assistance. I think eBikes should be used on eBike only trails. Like roads.