Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam Pilgrim just did his first enduro race on an E-Bike with some of the stages as the non powered guys then 1 bike specific version. I don't see any issues with them in races at all as long as they have their own category & throw in a couple of specific stages that need to you make certain decisions specific to those bikes. 

Ebike are going to be an intragel part of mountain biking - they will be the resistance like there was from the 26 inch tires to the 29 inch tire they will be the resistance like they was from a bike with out suspension to bike with shocks there will be resistance from a bike with a 1.5 inch tires to a 3 inch tires But EBIKES will be on all trials as they are the biggest thing in the USA and now in Europe . South Africans are well known slow uptakers.

There might be some resistance from the current biking demographic. But I can only imagine that it's going to be a total hit with today's kids.

Sam Pilgrim just did his first enduro race on an E-Bike with some of the stages as the non powered guys then 1 bike specific version. I don't see any issues with them in races at all as long as they have their own category & throw in a couple of specific stages that need to you make certain decisions specific to those bikes. 

Yeah. I liked that. I liked the E-Bike only uphill stage. Very clever.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

This thread truly never stops giving. :whistling:

As for me, my new Ebike got delivered by the couriers this morning, so I'm going home ASAP to build it up and go for a spin.

I've had loads of different bikes over the years and can tell you this, I'm super excited about getting this one.

Dont forget to charge it properly or that first ride could end in tears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtbZxh-A_hc

Enduro races are inherently very different to marathon races. Also don't see an issue with e-bikes in Enduros as long as they are in their own category (b/c e-bikers obviously get to start of special stages alot fresher than riders on bicycles). Starts of stages are staggered and mostly gravity oriented, so it removes all the problems found with e-bikes in marathon races anyway.

Unboxed last night with a short spin around the block.

Colours are awesome in the metal, pics kind of wash it out.

Very tidy integration! Looks like a rippa, m8!

Unboxed last night with a short spin around the block.

Colours are awesome in the metal, pics kind of wash it out.

Really like the look of it, much nicer than the previous itteration. Integrated batteries are a bit harder to remove but look a gazillion times better than the external ones.

Enduro races are inherently very different to marathon races. Also don't see an issue with e-bikes in Enduros as long as they are in their own category (b/c e-bikers obviously get to start of special stages alot fresher than riders on bicycles). Starts of stages are staggered and mostly gravity oriented, so it removes all the problems found with e-bikes in marathon races anyway.

Yas. Can't see any reason not to have them in the enduro world. I hadn't actually thought about the xc or marathon angle as frankly it's not a world I know anything about. 

I just hope the za power grid can take the massive load of all theae ebikes ... if we have to start load shedding again ....

So 2 of these came into the shop today ... 800 watts of pure power, accelerator like a quad bike, even has walk mode so that if you feel the need to walk you don't need the effort to push the bike as well.

At least you aren't sneaking into any races/rides unnoticed ....a9fc93f0a0f91358789a4dffc75086a2.jpg9d8b46f46b5db461c74a826d0bf8074a.jpg71d15dc1645986dae816988296ce5452.jpg

So 2 of these came into the shop today ... 800 watts of pure power, accelerator like a quad bike, even has walk mode so that if you feel the need to walk you don't need the effort to push the bike as well.

At least you aren't sneaking into any races/rides unnoticed ....

eeeeeuuuw...what are those? 16"s? Everybody knows if it doesn't have 29"you aren't cool anymore...

16" AND an E-bike?...man you are going to get pitchforked :ph34r:

At least you aren't sneaking into any races/rides unnoticed ....a9fc93f0a0f91358789a4dffc75086a2.jpg9d8b46f46b5db461c74a826d0bf8074a.jpg71d15dc1645986dae816988296ce5452.jpg

I think I saw one of these cruising from Camps bay up to Llandudno the other day. I did a double take. The guy was wearing flip flops, but motoring. I didn't know it was motorised at the time, but it looked crazy, like he was hardling putting in any effort.

$?

I still want a cheap as chips commuter but i can't shower at work so it needs to be an e-bike.

$?

I still want a cheap as chips commuter but i can't shower at work so it needs to be an e-bike.

No idea, the gent imported them himself. If I'm there when he comes in to get them I'll ask.

They are also of the 'foldable' type BTW