Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

From a trail background, being heavier and having the ability to zip uphill the potential damage and maintenance of trails is going to become an issue going forward with an increase in e-bike numbers. No surprise if trail systems start banning their use on trails.

Another thing, an E-biker passes you on the uphill during an event only to hang on the brakes on the next singletrack dragging a train of 20 riders without making way for anyone to pass. Eventually you get a gap on the next jeeptrack only to be passed by said rider on the next uphill to end up, once again in a train on the next singletrack.

E-bikes allow a less skilled / fit rider to get in a position where they end up bottlenecking and spoiling an entire ride for a lot of people when said rider should not be in that part of the field in the first place.

Its a problem and its going to get worse.

YAWN :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: ...here we go again

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a mates e-bike for a spin yesterday - a Specialized jobby. It's not for me (yet) but I get it. I can't help feeling a bit like its cheating but at the same time I can see that it depends upon how you approach it. You can work just as hard on an e-bike (calories per hour) but at the same time you can also cover more ground and have more fun. The traditional bike sure isn't going to disappear but I see a lot of people taking to e-bikes in the future.

Cheating who ?

Won't kick any dead horses here. 

Was out on my morning ride today and spotted one of the new Giant Trance e-bikes - dam, that is one good looking motorbike!! Spaz was the only local option that actually resembles a normal bike, but this Trance-E takes the cake for me in terms of looks. Seriously nicely integrated battery and motor, and the paint is gorgeous! Wouldn't mind swinging a leg over one...

Now, if only they would release the Reign version! I would be looking at selling a kidney if that was on the table.

Edit: Image added.

post-82251-0-47669900-1546859942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Won't kick any dead horses here. 

Was out on my morning ride today and spotted one of the new Giant Trance e-bikes - dam, that is one good looking motorbike!! Spaz was the only local option that actually resembles a normal bike, but this Trance-E takes the cake for me in terms of looks. Seriously nicely integrated battery and motor, and the paint is gorgeous! Wouldn't mind swinging a leg over one...

Now, if only they would release the Reign version! I would be looking at selling a kidney if that was on the table.

Edit: Image added.

attachicon.gifa_b86f45418c.jpg

Do what I did, buy the SX 160mm bike from overseas and bring it in yourself.

post-25449-0-31974100-1546860374_thumb.jpg

Do what I did, buy the SX 160mm bike from overseas and bring it in yourself.

Okay, so from what I gather the SX is pretty close to Reign territory, that's pretty awesome! 

Probably a good thing I can't afford another bike now anyway!

Have you ridden any other e-bikes you can compare this to? What is the motor, battery life, handling, etc like? My only point of reference is the Spaz Turbo Levo (2016), which I really enjoyed!

Okay, so from what I gather the SX is pretty close to Reign territory, that's pretty awesome! 

Probably a good thing I can't afford another bike now anyway!

Have you ridden any other e-bikes you can compare this to? What is the motor, battery life, handling, etc like? My only point of reference is the Spaz Turbo Levo (2016), which I really enjoyed!

I've had a short ride on the Spez, and considered the new Levo, but in reality the pricing is very steep for the spec. I do like the fit and finish of the Spez, but being tall (XL frame) I think the Giant is a better fit over the older model Levo.

I recently rode a Trek with the Bosch motor and can say the Yamaha in the Giant is much smoother and maybe even more powerful, the Bosch is way more on/off. But in fairness that was a 2018 spec, I also rode a 2018 spec Giant and the improvement to the 2019 motor/electronics is noticeable, so a new Bosch motor could certainly be an improvement as was the Yamaha.

Battery life is ok, in a normal mixed ride at home (Karkloof) I will use about 50% battery in 30/35km using the lower 3 power modes, that's a fair bit of climbing (600/700m ascent) and loads of singletrack. I reckon at a steady cadence on a predominantly flat ride you could stretch out towards the 100km mark.

The handling on mine is monster, long travel, good suspension and the weight make it GO when it points downwards and I'm really enjoying it, I do keep clipping trees with the 800mm bars though :whistling: . Its not as nimble as a "normal" Enduro bike, but it carries the momentum and I'm starting to trust the speed :eek:. I can happily ride all the stages we used for SA Enduro Champs in 2018, so its more than capable

The biggest letdown with mine has been the brakes, its comes specced with SRAM Code R's and they are very average. I just don't bond with the feeling and warbling, HOPE V4s are on order and will sort that out.

Overall though its a real laugh and I'm enjoying riding all my local trails on it.

Sounds like, feels like and surely must be a motor-bike chat room, this?  Surely this must sit under the Off Topic/Chat Chat forum, or have I missed something?   :whistling:

Edited by The Commuter

From a trail background, being heavier and having the ability to zip uphill the potential damage and maintenance of trails is going to become an issue going forward with an increase in e-bike numbers. No surprise if trail systems start banning their use on trails.

Another thing, an E-biker passes you on the uphill during an event only to hang on the brakes on the next singletrack dragging a train of 20 riders without making way for anyone to pass. Eventually you get a gap on the next jeeptrack only to be passed by said rider on the next uphill to end up, once again in a train on the next singletrack.

E-bikes allow a less skilled / fit rider to get in a position where they end up bottlenecking and spoiling an entire ride for a lot of people when said rider should not be in that part of the field in the first place.

Its a problem and its going to get worse.

This is literally the bazillionth time everyone has heard those exact arguments. 

Talk about feeding a fed horse. 

This is literally the bazillionth time everyone has heard those exact arguments.

Talk about feeding a fed horse.

Sure you mean kicking a dead horse? ;)

Oop.... wrong thread

I've had a short ride on the Spez, and considered the new Levo, but in reality the pricing is very steep for the spec. I do like the fit and finish of the Spez, but being tall (XL frame) I think the Giant is a better fit over the older model Levo.

I recently rode a Trek with the Bosch motor and can say the Yamaha in the Giant is much smoother and maybe even more powerful, the Bosch is way more on/off. But in fairness that was a 2018 spec, I also rode a 2018 spec Giant and the improvement to the 2019 motor/electronics is noticeable, so a new Bosch motor could certainly be an improvement as was the Yamaha.

Battery life is ok, in a normal mixed ride at home (Karkloof) I will use about 50% battery in 30/35km using the lower 3 power modes, that's a fair bit of climbing (600/700m ascent) and loads of singletrack. I reckon at a steady cadence on a predominantly flat ride you could stretch out towards the 100km mark.

The handling on mine is monster, long travel, good suspension and the weight make it GO when it points downwards and I'm really enjoying it, I do keep clipping trees with the 800mm bars though :whistling: . Its not as nimble as a "normal" Enduro bike, but it carries the momentum and I'm starting to trust the speed :eek:. I can happily ride all the stages we used for SA Enduro Champs in 2018, so its more than capable

The biggest letdown with mine has been the brakes, its comes specced with SRAM Code R's and they are very average. I just don't bond with the feeling and warbling, HOPE V4s are on order and will sort that out.

Overall though its a real laugh and I'm enjoying riding all my local trails on it.

Sounds like Giant have a winning recipe on their hands! Thanks for the feedback!

Fixed

Yeah.... All I've seen from you on this thread is changing the subject to motorbikes... I'm not sure if it's tongue in cheek or if you currently reside under a bridge but it's tedious.

E-bikes are here to stay. The market for them will grow.

Big bike parks without up-lift become so dam rad on an e-bike. Jonkershoek becomes amazing! All the trails in one day without busting several guts?

Sjoe.... thats a win in my books.