Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put a motor on a bicycle, is it still a bicycle?

Some 40 years ago there were "help-my-trap" bicycles. Basically a very small internal combustion engine that helped you to get up hills, useless for top end speed.

Today the "e-bike" does the same.

Pity people dont bother trying to understand the differences between:

- ebike

- pedelec

- electric motorcycle

YES - an ebike is a bicycle

PS . Aquaratza I know you know the differences, and the benefits of an ebike. :)

Edited by ChrisF

PS . Aquaratza I know you know the differences, and the benefits of an ebike. :)

;) I'm just getting an idea of the depth of consideration in kranswurm's position to see if there's an interesting debate in there or something to be learnt, but their answer was "No", so I guess it's time to make dinner :w00t: .

Edited by aquaratza

• 3 weeks later...

A big HELL YES from me!

They are insane, full of power and the ones I tested, built for any terrain you can throw at it!

What is even better?  I havent been on a bike in over 5 years and had a moerse jol without breaking a sweat!

If you want to race with the racing snakes, use your "normal" bike.
If you want to have a jol, pop to the shops quickly, do your favorite singletrack 3 or 4 times over.... jump on an E-bike!!!   :w00t:  :w00t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDwTmEXFFII

So many things wrong with that video...

But, I would not mind adding an e-bike to the stable for something like exploring everything Karkloof has to offer. Some of those climbs are brutal. My knees and back will thank me.

It does look like a lot of fun.

Edited by DR ◣◢

A big HELL YES from me!

They are insane, full of power and the ones I tested, built for any terrain you can throw at it!

What is even better?  I havent been on a bike in over 5 years and had a moerse jol without breaking a sweat!

If you want to race with the racing snakes, use your "normal" bike.

If you want to have a jol, pop to the shops quickly, do your favorite singletrack 3 or 4 times over.... jump on an E-bike!!!   :w00t:  :w00t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDwTmEXFFII

All the riding done was gravel grinding in that vid.

I have seen the Neo on one of our rides out to Melkbos ........ A couple of us were on SS MTB's and the person on the Neo had some very heavy breathing going on for the one and only small climb

So many things wrong with that video...

But, I would not mind adding an e-bike to the stable for something like exploring everything Karkloof has to offer. Some of those climbs are brutal. My knees and back will thank me.

It does look like a lot of fun.

Yeah not a very good video.

My biggest disappointment though is that the thumbnail promises far more eye candy than the video delivers.  

Edited by Walt Jabsco

I have seen the Neo on one of our rides out to Melkbos ........ A couple of us were on SS MTB's and the person on the Neo had some very heavy breathing going on for the one and only small climb

If I had a budget from Cannondale or the likes to produce a video, you might have seen some mixed and different terrain.  Chucked the e-bikes on the bakkie and headed for the farm.  It is what it is. 

If you want a workout on an e-bike, you can still get one.

I was totally amazed how easy it was to go off the gravel road, into the velt and to get ontop of the koppies without much effort. 

My biggest issue is promoting the consumption of alcohol mid ride. Highly unprofessional. e-bike or no e-bike, drinking and riding is irresponsible. Maybe that is why the camera is spinning around them 90% of the time?

Cheeky to use Corona. I see the comedic side of it but at the same time I feel it is a little insensitive. Is the video sponsored by Corona? 

This is personal preference but this video is supposed to sell a lifestyle. Trail riding and having fun. Why all the lycra. Just doesn't look right to me. Again, this is personal preference. 

Lastly, the video production. What frame rate is that? Looks like 30fps. At 24/25fps you will get that smooth cinematic feel. Also the colour grading makes it look like they are riding in a wasteland. It severely lacks more closeup footage.

The setting for the video could have been a forest or similar. More eye candy and sells the ride better. Right now it looks like you are slogging along in dry, dusty, and hot environments. 

Again, personal feelings on the video. Except for the alcohol part. 

Yeah not a very good video.

My biggest disappointment though is that the thumbnail promises far more eye candy than the video delivers.  

Ok, so you come does it!  I am always open to feedback, but "it not very good" doesnt tell me anything at all.

Yea, that is called click-bait!  :lol:

But at least he was out on a bike. If not an ebike he would not be out there at all.

My biggest issue is promoting the consumption of alcohol mid ride. Highly unprofessional. e-bike or no e-bike, drinking and riding is irresponsible. Maybe that is why the camera is spinning around them 90% of the time?

Cheeky to use Corona. I see the comedic side of it but at the same time I feel it is a little insensitive. Is the video sponsored by Corona? 

This is personal preference but this video is supposed to sell a lifestyle. Trail riding and having fun. Why all the lycra. Just doesn't look right to me. Again, this is personal preference. 

Lastly, the video production. What frame rate is that? Looks like 30fps. At 24/25fps you will get that smooth cinematic feel. Also the colour grading makes it look like they are riding in a wasteland. It severely lacks more closeup footage.

The setting for the video could have been a forest or similar. More eye candy and sells the ride better. Right now it looks like you are slogging along in dry, dusty, and hot environments. 

Again, personal feelings on the video. Except for the alcohol part. 

:lol:

Seriously?  Get a life man.

We had the drinks after the ride, but I did not see that as an ending shot for the video and used it elsewhere.

The video is sponsored by myself, made by myself on my own time and my own expenses. 

The video is not "supposed to do sell a lifestyle", we had fun with the bikes and captured some footage. 

We were on the farm in the Karoo, the terrain is what it is. 

:lol:

Seriously?  Get a life man.

We had the drinks after the ride, but I did not see that as an ending shot for the video and used it elsewhere.

The video is sponsored by myself, made by myself on my own time and my own expenses. 

The video is not "supposed to do sell a lifestyle", we had fun with the bikes and captured some footage. 

We were on the farm in the Karoo, the terrain is what it is. 

Sensitive much? Don't push content to the internet if you can't take the feedback. 

Now who needs a life? 

Why all the lycra. Just doesn't look right to me. 

My partner is not a cyclist at all, last time she was on a bike was in high school, the bike shop was kind enough to give her a cycling top.

I was wearing a black Cannondale T-Shirt...

Not sure why anyone would hung up by what people wear, there is no dress code for owning a bike.

Brace yourself, I was on the e-bike in beach road with my plakkies and boardshorts on sunday afternoon...