Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

My partner is not a cyclist at all, last time she was on a bike was in high school, the bike shop was kind enough to give her a cycling top.

I was wearing a black Cannondale T-Shirt...

Not sure why anyone would hung up by what people wear, there is no dress code for owning a bike.

Brace yourself, I was on the e-bike in beach road with my plakkies and boardshorts on sunday afternoon...

Trouble reading? I said it's personal preference. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensitive much? Don't push content to the internet if you can't take the feedback. 

Now who needs a life? 

If you remember correctly, I asked for the feedback.

Still you.

If I had a budget from Cannondale or the likes to produce a video, you might have seen some mixed and different terrain.  Chucked the e-bikes on the bakkie and headed for the farm.  It is what it is. 

If you want a workout on an e-bike, you can still get one.

I was totally amazed how easy it was to go off the gravel road, into the velt and to get ontop of the koppies without much effort. 

motorbikes do that ... they climb hils without much effort

:lol:

Seriously?  Get a life man.

We had the drinks after the ride, but I did not see that as an ending shot for the video and used it elsewhere.

The video is sponsored by myself, made by myself on my own time and my own expenses. 

The video is not "supposed to do sell a lifestyle", we had fun with the bikes and captured some footage. 

We were on the farm in the Karoo, the terrain is what it is. 

Ah ... you made the vid, that explains why you are defending it the way you are

My partner is not a cyclist at all, last time she was on a bike was in high school, the bike shop was kind enough to give her a cycling top.

I was wearing a black Cannondale T-Shirt...

Not sure why anyone would hung up by what people wear, there is no dress code for owning a bike.

Brace yourself, I was on the e-bike in beach road with my plakkies and boardshorts on sunday afternoon...

I did not want to comment on this, but you could see from her body language in the vid that she was not a mountain biker ... I thought at first "they" (being you now that you noted as such) just used an attractive roadie or model for the advertorial.

:lol:

Seriously?  Get a life man.

We had the drinks after the ride, but I did not see that as an ending shot for the video and used it elsewhere.

I can understand why DR is saying this.

The advertorial showed the drinks being consumed mid ride ..... you could have had the drinks two weeks later at home without any intent of driving anywhere afterwards, but this the viewer's of the advertorial will never know.

I dunno, don't really identify with the video but at the same time methinks you guys are making way too much out of it and projecting so much hubris and hyperbole.
It's purely a personal edit and isn't a commercial production it wasn't punted as such.
It's bland at worst, no more and no less.

Cracking open a beer now, cheers...

I dunno, don't really identify with the video but at the same time methinks you guys are making way too much out of it and projecting so much hubris and hyperbole.

It's purely a personal edit and isn't a commercial production it wasn't punted as such.

BEERS ..... flying up from CT now ... keep them cold will you!

"Get a life"  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

A friend and I rode Jonkershoek yesterday on our Levos (mine's an alloy 2017 model, his is a 2020 S-Works). I've ridden there before on my nomal bike (Stumpy), but that was because I was riding with people on normal bikes (no point riding ebike if everyone else is on a normal bike imhpo/respect).

It was huge fun climbing up the sides of the valley, but crazy how much upper body input was required to keep the bike going straight and keep the front wheel down. Turbo has the side effect of causing the rear wheel to slip a lot (power without control?). The steep sections of the terrain were super rocky/pebbly. I rode with 29" Lyne wheels (2.35" Maxxis on the rear) but I may try 27.5" / 3" fatties next time (which came with the bike). My friend and I didn't get to the top, maybe next week :)

Average assistance of 150w, average human power input of 165w. Ended ride with 50% (on 500Wh) battery despite bourgeois riding.

post-128151-0-04449700-1610096745_thumb.png

post-128151-0-86183000-1610096375_thumb.jpg

"Get a life"  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

from the oke who felt corona was "insensitive".  irony much?  seems 2021 starting off with as much chill as the end of 2020. 

happy new year to all!!

A friend and I rode Jonkershoek yesterday on our Levos (mine's an alloy 2017 model, his is a 2020 S-Works). I've ridden there before on my nomal bike (Stumpy), but that was because I was riding with people on normal bikes (no point riding ebike if everyone else is on a normal bike imhpo/respect).

It was huge fun climbing up the sides of the valley, but crazy how much upper body input was required to keep the bike going straight and keep the front wheel down. Turbo has the side effect of causing the rear wheel to slip a lot (power without control?). The steep sections of the terrain were super rocky/pebbly. I rode with 29" Lyne wheels (2.35" Maxxis on the rear) but I may try 27.5" / 3" fatties next time (which came with the bike). My friend and I didn't get to the top, maybe next week :)

Average assistance of 150w, average human power input of 165w. Ended ride with 50% (on 500Wh) battery despite bourgeois riding.

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2021-01-08 11-05-17.png

attachicon.gif20210107_092647.jpg

Interesting question. 

With the added weight of the bike (+- 10kg?) you would need to run higher tire pressures. This would be at the expense of grip. 

Is this an issue? 

from the oke who felt corona was "insensitive".  irony much?  seems 2021 starting off with as much chill as the end of 2020. 

happy new year to all!!

Not as chilled as those beers mid ride. 

Irony is my middle name. Especially when I slap on the  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: . Imagine that, three of them! OMFG. 

Happy new year to you too. 

Interesting question. 

With the added weight of the bike (+- 10kg?) you would need to run higher tire pressures. This would be at the expense of grip. 

Is this an issue? 

Interesting question: I do more cross-country riding usually, so I run higher tyre pressures for reduced rolling resistance and better puncture headroom/tolerance. I do this for both my normal and ebike, which have the same wheels and tyres on them.

So yes, in my case I was running high pressures which would have negatively impacted grip. I'll keep that in mind for next time and deflate them a bit, thanks! :)

Interesting data - I've always been curious as to how much actual/practical power the motor adds over the total ride distance. Thanks for that!