Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting data - I've always been curious as to how much actual/practical power the motor adds over the total ride distance. Thanks for that!

:D

I'm a data bug, I try and log everything, within feasible constraints. My ebike emits power meter data, but I suspect it under-reads by 10% or 15% - the reason I say this is because my Quarq XX1 power meter on my normal bike always reads higher numbers for similar rides and is very flattering compared to the ebike.

I base the "motor assistance" number on the battery % at the end of a ride vs the start multiplied by the battery capacity. My bike's BMS does coulomb counting (as many do), so the battery % is accurate. I started the ride on 98% and finished on 49%, delta of 49%. Battery capacity is designed to be 504Wh, but is 498 Wh currently, so utilisation of 244 Wh. 244 / 1.6 hours of riding is an average of 152.5w. I have an outboard battery that I use for longer rides.

Battery usage depends on how much you put in and also the mode you're in. 100% assistance (aka Turbo) tends to be very inefficient, so it chows the battery. 50% (aka Trail) tends to give a good compromise but is still slutty and 15% (my "Eco", most bikes use 30% for eco) is mostly enough to overcome the weight of the bike. Eco is great for a good workout and when you need it you can jump into the higher modes.

Power data keeps you honest to yourself.

Edited by aquaratza

Forgot ... you JHB lot don't have decent craft beers

Yes we do! Don't come here with that Cape attitude my bru.

We have a little something called Gilroys

You got your feedback and then you got pissy with "get a life" 

you need to get a life

Take a chill pill and relax.I see nothing wrong with the video.

you need to get a life

Take a chill pill and relax.I see nothing wrong with the video.

Second ****** (why is it filtering "person"?) to tell me to get a life... I'm starting to doubt my current state of existence. 

I gave my opinion. That is all. 

Oh come one guys, the guy made a video. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Absolutely nothing wrong with a beer on a ride either - the guy is in no way promoting getting hammered on a ride. We do a beer ride on a Friday to celebrate all the bg things - birthdays, birth of the kiddos, etc. Stick the bottle of beer in the hydration pack with lots of ice, pop it open with at the top of the mountain with a view of Blouberg, Table mountain and all the way around to Gordon's Bay, and enjoy. Then take a chilled ride down the mountain. Not many things in life better than that.

Ok... my apologies guys, I was wrong.

I got defensive and I can now see  from the perspective of a brand like Cannondale, they would not be promoting the us of alcohol in their videos. 

Before you judge too harshly, my side...

I had no budget for this video and no one asked me to make it.

It was a very spur of the moment thing, we were already on the way to the farm for the weekend when I got news that we can take the bikes along.  We had to stop back home to pack helmets and whatever other cycling gear I could dig out quickly.

My partner is not a cyclist at all and I could not get any shots of her bombing down anything, which left me to try and film myself doing some faster stuff.  Not easy filming yourself on a bike... with a drone that has no tracking capabilities or a "co-pilot" that has never flown a drone.

(She enjoyed the e-bike tremendously and this might be a fantastic way to get her into cycling... and get me back into cycling :lol: )

The aim wasnt to promote a lifestyle, just thought I would get some cool shots whilst having a jol.

Unfortunately the footage and terrain is what I have and where we were, cant change that but hopefully the next one will be better...

How is this then?

No click-bait this time! :lol:

Edited by Tankman

I got defensive and I can now see  from the perspective of a brand like Cannondale, they would not be promoting the us of alcohol in their videos. 

It was a very spur of the moment thing, we were already on the way to the farm for the weekend when I got news that we can take the bikes along.  We had to stop back home to pack helmets and whatever other cycling gear I could dig out quickly.

My partner is not a cyclist at all and I could not get any shots of her bombing down anything, which left me to try and film myself doing some faster stuff.  Not easy filming yourself on a bike... with a drone that has no tracking capabilities or a "co-pilot" that has never flown a drone.

(She enjoyed the e-bike tremendously and this might be a fantastic way to get her into cycling... and get me back into cycling :lol: )

The aim wasnt to promote a lifestyle, just thought I would get some cool shots whilst having a jol.

Unfortunately the footage and terrain is what I have and where we were, cant change that but hopefully the next one will be better...

How is this then?

https://youtu.be/5wh3OrBC6mM

I think the video is pretty cool - Well done - I've done a few of my own as well but wouldn't dare to post them here on Le Hub - I think they are masterpieces of videography especially considering my lack of ability in this field - But some opinionated KARENS on here might think differently - One needs to ignore them and scroll past,

Oh! and drinking beer as a MTBer is considered cool, I remember a MTB race i did where the water points only served shooters and you got a beer instead of a medal at the finish.

Keep riding - Keep filming - drink beer - be cool & ignore the boxes on the way

How is this then?

https://youtu.be/5wh3OrBC6mM

You realise she was in front of you on the climbs as she was on the orange bike ... orange has some red in it, red bikes are faster :P

Nice re-edit....what do you do your editing in please?

Back in my wondering days I remember many SS series and SSCX races with beer shortcuts and shooter penalties.

In 2011 I remember doing a SS series in NZ which was 3 laps each, a beer skull shortcut each lap AND it worked on points accumulated over the 5 race series which were doubled if you raced dressed up and tripled if you did the last lap in just your undies, shoes and helmet.

The series was entertaining.

I don't really drink these days at all, but I think I would be persuaded to skull beer shortcuts again

You realise she was in front of you on the climbs as she was on the orange bike ... orange has some red in it, red bikes are faster :P

Nice re-edit....what do you do your editing in please?

Red bikes are faster yes!  But I had to "let" her beat me on some strategic sections for the video! ;)

When we went up a really long steep climb, she left me for dead and I was going full gas, must be the 60kg weight difference between us :eek:

Using Adobe Premiere Pro