Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Tankman that is a nice video.

Simply impossible to please everybody ....

As for ebikes ... YES

That's so sweet...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come one guys, the guy made a video. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Absolutely nothing wrong with a beer on a ride either - the guy is in no way promoting getting hammered on a ride. We do a beer ride on a Friday to celebrate all the bg things - birthdays, birth of the kiddos, etc. Stick the bottle of beer in the hydration pack with lots of ice, pop it open with at the top of the mountain with a view of Blouberg, Table mountain and all the way around to Gordon's Bay, and enjoy. Then take a chilled ride down the mountain. Not many things in life better than that.

Agreed, the criticism was pathetic.

Agreed, the criticism was pathetic.

go read from the start again

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/166722-do-ebikes-belong-on-the-mountain/?p=3754386

DR offered his opinion on the corona being consumed. That is his opinion.

DR commented and provided constructive crit. on the production of the vid.

To me the first vid felt like an advertorial, I did not know at first it was Tanks vid. My comments are based on this.

Tank later made comments to DR that are not really lekker. "Get a life man".

Thing spiraled downhill a little after this.

Tank did a second vid that is actually a more lekker vid. though he did skid to a stop like a noob (Note comic sans font)

I would counter and say that the criticism was not "pathetic"

Is it time to regulate e-bikes more like motorbikes?

Think he concludes well, no, but understand the risks.

Is it time that people start driving cars with more care, yes.

Is it time to regulate e-bikes more like motorbikes?

Interesting video!

45kph commuting on an ebike is always going to be dangerous in "half a helmet" in my opinion.

Personally I reckon ~27kph is the right top speed for commuters. That way ebikers and normal bikers do about the same speed on the road (or in my case the cycle path) so pedal traffic can flow smoothly. It is also the speed car drivers are used to.

45kph is fine in the right hands with the right brakes but for the most part ecommuters are not experienced riders and the brakes I've seen on most (even R150,000 ebikes) are woefully inadequate of stopping a 80kg person and 30kg bike.

Think he concludes well, no, but understand the risks.

Is it time that people start driving cars with more care, yes.

True. It was e-bikes that got me into motorbikes - for all the points raised here. :) Well, and at that point the e-bikes were about the same costs as a decent second hand motorbike.

Interesting video!

45kph commuting on an ebike is always going to be dangerous in "half a helmet" in my opinion.

Personally I reckon ~27kph is the right top speed for commuters. That way ebikers and normal bikers do about the same speed on the road (or in my case the cycle path) so pedal traffic can flow smoothly. It is also the speed car drivers are used to.

45kph is fine in the right hands with the right brakes but for the most part ecommuters are not experienced riders and the brakes I've seen on most (even R150,000 ebikes) are woefully inadequate of stopping a 80kg person and 30kg bike.

I found the limit of 25km/h on my wife's one just makes it a little slow riding the 12km to work. 33km/h would be perfect as more time on the bike gets you a little more sweaty. Would love to remove the limiter on my wife's bike. 

I am pretty sure the motor itself would limit it to around 33km/h. Its an Avalanche Dutch style eBike with 250w motor which my wife loves taking to shops etc.

True. It was e-bikes that got me into motorbikes - for all the points raised here. :) Well, and at that point the e-bikes were about the same costs as a decent second hand motorbike.

Agreed, Fortnine is a great youtube channel I have watched for ages. His takes are rather well thought out and unlike me, uses actual facts.

I found the limit of 25km/h on my wife's one just makes it a little slow riding the 12km to work. 33km/h would be perfect as more time on the bike gets you a little more sweaty. Would love to remove the limiter on my wife's bike. 

I am pretty sure the motor itself would limit it to around 33km/h. Its an Avalanche Dutch style eBike with 250w motor which my wife loves taking to shops etc.

From your description of the bike, and your wife's usage thereof, it sounds like a perfect match.

Agreed, Fortnine is a great youtube channel I have watched for ages. His takes are rather well thought out and unlike me, uses actual facts.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you are just using "alternative facts"

And this is exactly why the European rules limit "ebikes" to 25km/h.  "slow and safe" ....  uhm ja ....

The 32km/h limit on the American bikes IS a lot "nicer" .... but also requires a more experienced rider to stay safe on the roads ..... okay, staying safe on the SA roads is a whole different debate ....

BUT ..... most of us have done 60+km/h on our bikes at one time or another .... traffic and road dependent with different levels of risk attached to this.  To be clear - these speeds are regularly (mostly) done without the assistance an ebike.  Most ebikes spin out at 40km/h.  Even on a "standard bike", a newbie can get in serious trouble on a downhill ....

O-well, very loaded topic, and each will take what they want from it ....

BUT ..... most of us have done 60+km/h on our bikes at one time or another .... traffic and road dependent with different levels of risk attached to this.  To be clear - these speeds are regularly (mostly) done without the assistance an ebike.  Most ebikes spin out at 40km/h.  Even on a "standard bike", a newbie can get in serious trouble on a downhill ....

O-well, very loaded topic, and each will take what they want from it ....

To be fair the discussion was centred around commuting. In my 24 months of commuting to my store and back daily I have not seen a single person doing 60kph. Maybe a handful doing ~45kph on their modded ebikes (and that was ridiculously dangerous).

Smashing 60kph on a Spesh duallie on an isolated road is a very different story. The only real risk is to the rider.

Bottom line is that nobody wants restrictions and theoretically they shouldn't be needed but to save the majority from stupid minority we need rules.

My Saturday afternoon group rides includes a mandatory beer stop at the round house ..... 

But since Corona its at the club house

Oh come one guys, the guy made a video. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Absolutely nothing wrong with a beer on a ride either - the guy is in no way promoting getting hammered on a ride. We do a beer ride on a Friday to celebrate all the bg things - birthdays, birth of the kiddos, etc. Stick the bottle of beer in the hydration pack with lots of ice, pop it open with at the top of the mountain with a view of Blouberg, Table mountain and all the way around to Gordon's Bay, and enjoy. Then take a chilled ride down the mountain. Not many things in life better than that.