Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

I am pretty sure any landowner or human being will reciprocate with kindness if you approach them with respect and kindness.

I've organised about 10+ long distance adventure races. Normally deal with 15-20 landowners in total for 100km of race course. So I often have had to go to a gate at a farmhouse, dogs barking and explain to the Oom what the F#$% I am doing on his property. Gaining trust is not straight forward.

My anecdotal evidence is mainly from the boland/overberg and 1/3 of farmers are really keen on sharing their knowledge, property and contacts (I never have really budget to pay) a 1/3 are cautious and will hear you out but are worried about things going wrong/liability issues. The final 1/3 are just not that interested. They have their stuff to do and that's all that matters, anything else is a hassle and a potential issue that they already don't have time for. I'm ok with that, but often they will have mates in the first 2 categories so come around eventually if it's a crucial land cross.

What is very evident is that the crap sticks. It takes just one bad incident/memory to ruin it for everyone again. I once had a guy say no one is allowed on his property as he once had hikers drop a stompie and it started a fire.This was 20+ years ago and he still hadn't changed his mind!

I don't own an ebike (yet) but I am a big supporter of them. If there's a perception that they are a troublesome population then it will be hard to lose. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame ebikes for load shedding. Before the dawn of ebikes load shedding was very periodic, now, since the boom of them, we are having it all the time!

Yes it's our fault we using all the electrify to keep our batteries full.

But if they allow ebikes in the Cape_Epic we will happily give back the electricity  into the grid. 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's our fault we using all the electrify to keep our batteries full.

But if they allow ebikes in the Cape_Epic we will happily give back the electricity  into the grid. 

Sounds good, a peddle powered coffee brew in the morning would be unbeatable.

Oh no! Not innovation! Not change! My poor Strava KOM's!

Yes they belong. They're in the spirit of true mtb riding anyway. Chill chat and rip it on some ST on the way down with your mates.

/Bells ordered

Some good chirping on the trails on Saturday ....  :whistling:  :ph34r:

A class mate of Maritz joined us.  He only started riding MTB in December .... so the day started with some skills training, then a few trails.

Last bit of D'Aria the youngster walked the the uphill part.  So when we got to Bloemendal we had to make a call .... back down, OR .... walk up and have some more fun.

In solidarity, Maritz and I also got off and walked with our guest .....

MAN, did I get some chirps about walking up the hill with my ebike ...  :ph34r:   :ph34r:

All good, the kids had tons of fun on Lombards and Homerun.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:

Very noble of you. 

I know some twats on conventional bikes that would laugh at somebody struggling up that hill.

Some people always need to boast how they think that they are superior to others.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what to say about this machine, but didn't want to detail the Levo thread

Ryuger Eidolon BR-RTS, a full carbon, full suspension, aero commuter ebike

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/25/wild-looking-ryuger-eidolon-covid-ebike-is-a-full-suspension-carbon-commuter/

ngcb8

I know what I feel when I see it... unfortunately I cannot find the throwing up emoji to express exactly what it is I feel.