Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

In keeping with the pointless theme, can I ask if Baggies are allowed on the road?

I ask cause the other day I say this guy on a TT bike wearing baggies. And he wasn't just pottering to the shops, whilst he wasn't going very fast, he was clearly out on a training ride.

is there some law against that? LOL I only know of the helmet law, further more, wear what you want, short sock, sleeveless shirts, who cares? If you comfortable own it. Dont let others put you off because of their beliefs.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That press release is hilarious:

With the huge growth in the e-bike market we had identified the need to include them across all our events, therefore partnering with Darrvin at this time is a great fit with our strategy,

They "identified" the need for greater profits ;) - and you don't need to partner with an ebike manufacturer to have a cycle tour that includes ebikes.

Darrvin is an innovative e-bike design and build company ... Key information on Darrvin e-bikes:

The electric motor and control system is made by Bafang, a Chinese leader in e-bikes that has been making motors and systems from the early 1990’s with unparalleled quality and workmanship.

Nothing says innovation and unparalleled quality like Bafang. Bafang is hackable though, at least the old motor controllers were and it's probably good value for money.

Edited by aquaratza

• 1 month later...

Weird experiences on the trails on Sunday .... :whistling:

Oatlands corridor, from Hoogies side ... so LOTS of climbing.  At the second climb I catch to gents working hard to get up that hill, nice wide farm road climbing next to a vineyard.  I move way left, get a good gear and use a lot of boost .... hart rate properly in the red I speed up that hill.

But is is a perfectly clear day in the Cape, absolutely no haze in the air .... Just had to stop for a photo of Table mountain.  Even waited a moment and got some pics with the two riders with the mountain in the back ground.

Back on the bike, turn left and even more vicious climb !!  Hart rate straight into the red and working hard ... with the motor assist I again blast past them.  Aaaahhh .... new height, new angle of the view .... what a photo opportunity ....

We had a good laugh as they stopped for a sip of water and me taking pics.

I finally caught the one gent at the dam, and he let me past.  By the time I caught the other gent we were properly into the single track CLIMB .... ouch .... tooooo slow.  I had no choice but to stop and let him grind his way to the top, only then could I ride up there.

We said our good byes at the gate.

Was nice riding with these gents. :thumbup:

Got super annoyed with a group of ebikers at Tokai.

Tokai is generally very busy on weekends and this is exacerbated with the closures at Table Mountain.  

No complaints, more people on the trails the better the jol.

Lot of riders (at various fitness levels) slogging their way up the jeep tracks, some faster than other and some pushing their bikes.

What pissed me off was that on a very busy section of the jeep track was a group of ebikers storming past everyone causing some to veer off their lines and almost falling off their bikes.

I get it, they want to do repeated laps but they had no trail etiquette, no warning, no bell, just wiz past in turbo mode. 

Either these are new riders or riders that think they own the trail (elitist mentality).

Generally though during the week when Tokai is more quiet my experience with Ebikers are pleasant. 

3 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

Tokai is generally very busy on weekends and this is exacerbated with the closures at Table Mountain.  

Lot of riders (at various fitness levels) slogging their way up the jeep tracks, some faster than other and some pushing their bikes.

What pissed me off was that on a very busy section of the jeep track was a group of ebikers storming past everyone causing some to veer off their lines and almost falling off their bikes.

I get it, they want to do repeated laps but they had no trail etiquette, no warning, no bell, just wiz past in turbo mode. 

Either these are new riders or riders that think they own the trail (elitist mentality).

Generally though during the week when Tokai is more quiet my experience with Ebikers are pleasant. 

"Riders" passing groups up single tracks can be very dangerous.

sucks when e-bikers behave in this way.  Then again, have seen young racing snakes on normal bikes do exactly the same ....

1 hour ago, YaseenEnos said:

every community has it's proportion of w@nkers. Maybe the ebiker one is higher than average, but they do have the potential to cause more crap don't they (with power comes responsibility!). It's always a few ruining it for the rest, hopefully this doesn't become a trend as we don't need more battle lines within the biking community.

What you've done well here is not to tar all with the same brush.

Riding up Tokai yesterday, as I came out of Fairy Garden, there was a guy coming straight up the road about 30 m behind me. Anyway, I continue to grind my way up the hill to top of Vasbyt and it is not too long before this guy is on my wheel. He sits there for a short while, but as soon as the road smooths out, he puts in a burst and comes past. Says hi and is on his way. I try and sit on his wheel for a while, but my heart rate is going into the red, I hang on as long as I can and eventually drop off and wave goodbye as he cruises up the hill.

These damn racing snakes on their analog bikes.

Wondering if I should have hit turbo and shown him who is boss ???? ????

I saw some people complaining on STRAVA re the very slow eBikers getting in their way on the fun DH single track at Tokai this weekend. And here is one of those things we need to get used to - even more barely competent riders on the mountain who are now able, with the benefit of 250 watts,  to make it up the mountain, only to be going very slowly back down. R150k and 250 watts does not a competent rider make. ???? 

Edited by Headshot

Riding my bike in the Table mountain area, even on a busy Sunday morning (like yesterday), is still far more enjoyable and less stressful than riding my car around CPT on Sunday mornings... No matter how many riders are on the mountain

And playing dodge-bike with other riders makes me a better and more skilled MTB'er ;) 

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

I saw some people complaining on STRAVA re the very slow eBikers getting in their way on the fun DH single track at Tokai this weekend. And here is one of those things we need to get used to - even more barely competent riders on the mountain who are now able, with the benefit of 250 watts,  to make it up the mountain, only to be going very slowly back down. R150k and 250 watts does not a competent rider make. ???? 

A solution to that would be a deterrent filter right at the start of the trail, like a 3 ft drop or a rock garden littered with baby heads. Go earn your stripes first on the red/blue trails before you crawl down a black line.

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 8:37 AM, YaseenEnos said:

I must say this pisses me off too (and I have an eBike). If they come up fast but slow down until you have seen them and then safely pass, I have no issue. But flying past at speed does tend to take one by surprise and can cause one to go off line, which could lead to a fall. 

If I am on the eBike and it is busy, I adjust the power to the point where my effort and speed is similar to the majority of the bikes going up. That way we all ride to the top safely and enjoy the climb. 

I am not sure what the other eBikers think when the fly past me grinding up the hill. Probably assume it is broken (as I ride the brand that is rumoured to be unreliable) ????????

We rented an ebike for my non cycling partner and spent the weekend a few weeks back in Prince Albert - we rode up the pass and she absolutely SMOKED me to the top - Wearing her tekkies she just turned the pedals over like she was noodling around the Rondebosch common and whoosh - I hadn't quite realised how much of a difference the assist makes. On the way down though it was a different story and on the flat back to town she called me to come back for her because the ebike was broken ---- ie - 25kmph limit!

What a blast and and I'm definitely getting one when I turn 60 in 7 years 8 months time. I am surprised and a little disappointed though that she hasn't gone and bought one after this experience.