Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

3 minutes ago, BigDL said:

Fair point. I suppose for someone like me, who tends to drag a mtb with if I travel overseas, I wouldn’t be able to do so with an ebike, at least without some significant drama

Many airlines dont allow you to fly the battery with ....  THIS comes up often on EMBN.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love an eBike, solely to do laps for more downhill fun and especially at Jonkershoek which has Euro worthy levels of descent and hard climbs to get back up. If there were lifts at Tokai and JH, I would not even consider an eBike. That said, I hate the idea of increased weight, cost and maintenance that comes with the extra complexity. Its all good if you're wealthy or sponsored, but when a bicycle starts costing more than a car with spares prices to match, I lose interest.

2 hours ago, edkin said:

What's so funny about somebody cycling along Main road Hermanus? They are probably cycling to/from Hemel en Aarde trails as part of their warm up/cool down. Can I assume that you would put your bike on the bike rack to drive to to the trails?

Touched a nerve?

1. You know what they say about assumptions?

They are also probably not coming back from H&A.

2. It's not hard to tell if you have been out on the trails or just strolling along, everyday the same people. And it's not hard to spot people in Hermanus with more money than common sense. Each to their own.

Be lekker.

My take...........

+5000 kms on my touring eBike - Planet X  London Road

Converted using existing parts and sold the frame (Trek Superfly)

Costs have been minimal apart from initial outlay.

Drive train - 9sp with XT rear derailleur

- Used existing Sram chain (done about 4000kms) Still good as I get approx 7000kms/chain. Well cared for and only oil used.

Never change under load and use the run-off to change gears.  Thumbie changer and gears are slick so minor wear.  

- Lekkie 36T chainring. Expensive but saves the motor etc. 

Brakes - Shimano 7000 with metal pads.  These seem to last longer. Resin are cheap enough and do the job just as well but only last 1000km                                      the way I ride - conservatively. 

Tyres -        Use the cheapest/good tyres I can buy.  Using Spes Armadillo, Rambler and CSK at the moment.  Less knobblies the longer they last.                                Replaced   my set after 2000kms unless they were ripped.  Do single track once per month

otherwise gravel mostly and some tar.

Battery  -   Custom made R8000 and I get about 70kms with panniers riding conservatively.

Suspension - Have a Cane Creek post and Redshift stem.  Is it needed?

Bike service - Do it myself properly except for spokes.  Have bust three spokes on standard wheels.  Custom wheels with many spokes take the torque                           much better. I do not have a high powered bike, what for? My bike is heavy.

Motor service - easy to grease and replace bearings.  Have not had to replace bearings etc as of yet.  Very little to go wrong.  Basic motor, basic                                       controller, no turbo, less to go wrong.

Unable to cost the difference between an aspirated bike and this eBike but would certainly not have done this mileage or done/seen places with a normal bike - priceless.

I ride every day, rain (never had a problem) or shine and use my bike for transport, shopping, visiting, getting vaccinated etc and have done 300kms in my car during the same period.  I don't drive to ride, at all and prefer to ride to the venue.. Neither do I like to pay to ride my bike.

Would I do it again?  Yes, most definitely.  Should have done it earlier. Having a busted hip does not hamper me and can still mix it with the youngsters.  The rewards are far more than what is expected.

My opinion anyway, thought I would throw it in.

Edited by Sepia

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

- BRAKES .... this bike certainly is heavier on brake pads than my previous bikes.  But this is cheap.

If you are bombing through more brake pads, can I assume you are also flushing your brake fluids on a more regular basis .... this is something many people overlook.

The comment at 3:53 sums it up for me, Andrew has to shuttle, Greg uses his e-bike.  If you are more into the gravity type riding, then an e-bike makes absolute sense.  

On a visit to my LBS (West Coast Specialized) last year for some TLC on my current bike the owner duly informed me that she will give me a good trade-in on my bike since my next bike will be an e-bike. I just smiled and asked her if that new e-bike comes with a maintenance plan. Her response was not what I expected. She basically confirmed that this was something that was actually being considered.

I can see myself riding analogue for a long long time. I have a very laat lammetjie who is only just starting pre-school tomorrow. She'll be done with school as I get kicked to the kerb by the boss . . .

I won't be upgrading cars, bikes or pretty much anything else for the foreseeable future.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:43 PM, BrentCGP said:

Touched a nerve?

1. You know what they say about assumptions?

They are also probably not coming back from H&A.

2. It's not hard to tell if you have been out on the trails or just strolling along, everyday the same people. And it's not hard to spot people in Hermanus with more money than common sense. Each to their own.

Be lekker.

Like assuming the lady you saw in Pretoria will claim claim her top 10 QOM on Strava

Be lekker

It's been about 5 years since this article was published, and the comments on it are a snapshot of how perceptions have changed. Just skimming the first few pages there are some interesting ones! Wonder how many people will come and say, I was wrong about this one, or.....I have now bought one and love it?

On 3/6/2017 at 8:49 AM, stringbean said:

#6 100%

I believe they don't belong on the mountain but do believe we have nothing to worry about.At the moment they are only been ridden by pro's or ambassadors pushing them for the big companies OR the just plain fat and lazy.

Won't take long before pro's and ambassadors go back to their normal bikes and the fat and lazy by nature just park them all in the garage never to be ridden again.So we will see them on the trail now and neth but before long you won't see any.

Don't be fooled by the big companies saying it's going to take over.

They all just imported a shitload of ebikes they want to get rid of.

How many fat bikes we see on the trails now days?

On 3/6/2017 at 9:29 AM, stefmeister said:

e-bikes, and e-cigarettes is all the same and lame AF!

Do it if it makes you happy, but don't think for one second it's cool. You wanna blow big clouds of smoke, don't be a pussy and vape. Hit a Camel filter. Same goes for the rest of the e-wankery.

On 3/6/2017 at 10:28 AM, BaGearA said:

no

On 3/6/2017 at 10:37 AM, mecheng89 said:

Nope. 

On 3/6/2017 at 10:48 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

Personally I think they should be banned. Not because of the e bikes as such but soon enough you'll find some oke on his KTM 125 riding MTB trails and using E bikes as his justification as to why he can ride them.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:39 AM, MTBeer said:

Is e-biking the newest new golf?

On 3/6/2017 at 11:49 AM, stefmeister said:

The gist of my post was that they're not cool. I.e. you have no bragging rights when riding one - not that riding any bicycle gives you bragging rights though, but less so on an e-trail bike. 

But out on the trails...keep it real.

On 3/6/2017 at 12:09 PM, Headshot said:

And if you don't have a handicap, other than a very heavy wallet to carry around?

On 3/6/2017 at 12:41 PM, the nerd said:

E-Bikes are like guide dogs.. 

Shops do not allow dogs, but they allow guide dogs if the person requires the guide dog. 

Same should be applied. 

On 3/6/2017 at 2:03 PM, stringbean said:

You guys need to stop listening to the propaganda BS the big S company is feeding you.

On 3/6/2017 at 2:43 PM, NicoBoshoff said:

I also want a bike to take me further for those long rides.  Difference is that got me thinking my N+1 bike would be the new Spark or Anthem.  Not this crap.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:45 PM, Hairy said:

LOL  :clap: "super amped"

On 3/6/2017 at 4:56 PM, Harry Millar said:

E-bikes are a fantastic enabler for the handicapped.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:58 PM, 'Dale said:

Don't like it

Gotta live with it

#old_school_rules

On 3/6/2017 at 5:17 PM, tunariaan said:

Most of them are heavy and guys use way too much brake on them.

Its damaging to the single tracks.

Ban the out of the forest and the real single tracks.

There plenty open gravel roads to ride for them

On 3/6/2017 at 5:25 PM, stringbean said:

I still maintain they won't take off.As has been said,it's for the fat,lazy or handicapped.

E riders will always have that stigma.

As Skollie says the majority of E riders are people who take the easy way out so after a few months the bikes will simply be parked in the garage.We already starting to see some in classifieds.

On 3/6/2017 at 6:46 PM, henningvr said:

Maybe I'm a bit dof, 'cause I don't see the point. Cycling, and specifically climbing, makes you fit and strong. The more your climb, the stronger you get. So having a motor sort of defeats the objective (objective: getting fitter and stronger), doesn't it?

I can see some oke/gal on his/her e-bike, halfway up a long, steep climb, almost effortless compared to the non e-bikers, and the battery or motor says "Fark this, I'm out."

But hey, whatever makes your boat float. 

On 3/6/2017 at 7:39 PM, porqui said:

Why is this even being discussed?

All it shows is bias.

And to all the whippersnappers - those under 60 - come ride with me.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

On a visit to my LBS (West Coast Specialized) last year for some TLC on my current bike the owner duly informed me that she will give me a good trade-in on my bike since my next bike will be an e-bike. I just smiled and asked her if that new e-bike comes with a maintenance plan. Her response was not what I expected. She basically confirmed that this was something that was actually being considered.

I can see myself riding analogue for a long long time. I have a very laat lammetjie who is only just starting pre-school tomorrow. She'll be done with school as I get kicked to the kerb by the boss . . .

I won't be upgrading cars, bikes or pretty much anything else for the foreseeable future.

Maintenance plan is probably a good idea given how many bikes probably get financed these days. Wild assumption but with very average e-bikes hitting the R100k it is a fairly assumption I think.

This topic is so old I cannot recalled if I had an opinion but initially I would have given it the thumbs down. But I joined a very relaxed group of mtb'ers here in town with a lot of older people and slow riders. Also lots of these E Bike things. Since I don't know alot of how these bikes worked I prepared myself for a very fast ride trying to stay with these beasts. Turned out that the riders of these bikes don't want to be riding out in the front of even race you up a hill but simply want to also be out there and not be afraid of not keeping with the group or holding up everybody. 

So there is definitely place for them on the mountains and trails. But it will be a long time before I swop the single speed for one of these things.