GPS - What to buy...?

Stretched@Birth

A friend got a corporate invite to ride Dusi2c, and asked me to help kit him out with everything he needs to get riding, get fit and get ready for the event.  

I could guide him on most bits, but when it comes to GPS units, I'm as in the dark as he is (I use Strava on my phone, turn it on, forget about it until I finish my ride, and upload my ride).

There is an oldish thread here on le Hub, but it's not very definitive.  

I'm partial to the Garmin Fenix 3 HR, the downside being that it's on your wrist, and not on the bars in front of you, not great if having to follow a route, but how much route following is really done in these races, unless you're riding the Munga?

Garmin, Polar, Bryton, Wahoo

Help a guy out, what would you buy, and why?  

I'll start with general advice... decide on a budget, decide on must-haves, then look at all the devices that meet those two and then weigh up the pro's and cons of the different features.

Then go and buy the Garmin... but seriously, Garmin has been great at after sales and apparently Polar has the best HR belts...

If want maps and able to follow a route without breaking the bank, Edge520.

Depends on budget and what you are willing to spend.

A few years ago I did Sani2C with an Edge500, breadcrumb navigation but worked great.

I went for the left field option - Lezyne Year 10 Super.

It has a 24hr battery life (I did a 22hr ride last month and still had 20% battery left, and a 24hr race the week after and was still able to finish the ride and upload after 24.5hrs with 10% battery remaining, so I believe the claim!), live Strava segments (if you're a Strava premium member - same as all the other GPS's that claim this), live tracking, bluetooth to your phone (you can even see your phones battery life on the unit), auto strava uploading (don't need to plug it into a computer) and a barometric altimeter for accurate measurements.  While it doesn't come with built in maps, it does link to your phone, so you can choose where you want to go on your phone and upload it to the unit (super easy to do) - you then get turn by turn directions on the unit or a breadcrumb map if you're off road.  Can also easily plot and upload maps from ridewithgps.com 

It also has all of the standard features and data pages that all of the GPS's have.  It doesn't have the colour touch screen, but so far that's not bothered me at all.

For a cheaper option that does all of the same things as the more expensive units, I'd definitely consider this one.

I did Sani with an Edge 500 last year and found that it struggled to update sometimes - screen would be blank - and we missed some of the turn-offs. One of my friends with a 520 did not have the same problem...

Garmin 510 or 520 and some Practice following routes... takes a bit of fiddling to get to understand, and setup the screens to your liking - my partner and I ride different screens - one a big arrow and the other showing some path ahead - nothing more annoying than taking the wrong side of a y junction...

Cycleops Joule GPS

Its very under rated. (great battery life)

Buy Garmin if you want Mainstream.

Much more value with the cycleops IMHO

Edited by BaGearA

A friend got a corporate invite to ride Dusi2c, and asked me to help kit him out with everything he needs to get riding, get fit and get ready for the event.  

I could guide him on most bits, but when it comes to GPS units, I'm as in the dark as he is (I use Strava on my phone, turn it on, forget about it until I finish my ride, and upload my ride).

There is an oldish thread here on le Hub, but it's not very definitive.  

I'm partial to the Garmin Fenix 3 HR, the downside being that it's on your wrist, and not on the bars in front of you, not great if having to follow a route, but how much route following is really done in these races, unless you're riding the Munga?

Garmin, Polar, Bryton, Wahoo

You can get a bicycle mount onto which you can strap the Garmin Fenix 3 (http://www.takealot.com/garmin-bike-mount-sport-fitness/PLID29361269)

Another thing I'd say he should consider is whether he would ever like to use the device for running/hiking and/or swimming. Then a more multisport type device (like the Fenix) is probably the way to go.

I agree with some hubbers the Edge 500 works well with bread crumbs follow route and thr Edge 520 works even better esspecially when roads are present and you can upload the map you want for the area that you are riding. Memory a bit limited on the 520 but I found it more than enough

• 3 weeks later...

520 Evans cycles R3800.00 for bundle +- 4k after duties.

Evans is having a clearance, got 520 bundle for R3400