Carbon tubbies vs decent clinchers?

DuPs

Hi guys,

Advise please.

I recently bought my wife a secondhand road bike, that fit our budget.  The bike was fitted with an old set of carbon Bontrager wheels with gatorskin tubbies on.  A cycle shop in Stellenbosch gave them a decent service, replaced two bearings, and noted that they're 100% apart from that.  The tubbies are at the end of their life.  Off course I took the wheels and put them on my road bike.

Not knowing tubbies for road (I'm more of a mountain biker, recently venturing into triathlons) I'm a bit sceptical to use them, seeing as you cannot quickly fix a tire, should the need arise.  Also, I don't want to permanently cycle around with a spare tubby at R1000 a pop in my rear pocket.

I see my options as the following:

1.  Sell/trade the wheels for a decent set of clinchers.

2.  Replace the tubbies (R2000) and get continue riding with them.

3.  Replace the tubbies, get a cheap set of exercise wheels, and keep the tubbies as race wheels.

Option 3 looks like a bit of a schlep, as I'll have to replace brake pads for races as well.  Will also be the priciest option.

So, which option would you say is best?  And if I go for option 1, do you have any idea of what they'll be worth?

Bad image of the wheels, I know.

post-63136-0-67494300-1488807422_thumb.jpg

post-63136-0-67494300-1488807422_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trend is towards carbon clinchers since there are such good technology out there these days (with improved braking surfaces).

Option 3 is the way most do it with tubbies.

Switching brake pads is easy, its just 4 little bolts, slide old pads out and new in.

(disclaimer)I'm a bit of an old f@rt so this opinion is based on beliefs of yesteryear... :whistling:

There is just no better option for hard core performance, than a set of tubby wheels. Therefore I would go for option 3 without blinking an eye. (Indeed I wouldn't consider training on them)

However, now come the 101 questions. How far, how fast does she really want to go etc. If I she wants to break a 3 hour Argus and she's just about there, tubbies will pull her through.

If she's 4,5 hour rider, there really isn't much of a point to the lighter expensive hard core option is there? ;-)

Clinchers all the way

Not easy selling second hand tubbies on the Hub. Guess all want clinchers nowadays.

The trend is towards carbon clinchers since there are such good technology out there these days (with improved braking surfaces).

I agree, but unfortunately not in my budget.

Option 3 is the way most do it with tubbies.

Switching brake pads is easy, its just 4 little bolts, slide old pads out and new in.

Thinking thats the way to go...

you def cant have clipon tribars and a saddle bag on a bike with tubbies :whistling: 

haha,

Its all about the budget though...

That is probably option 4....  sell all and get a better bike

Been cycling for the most part of 22 years.  Always had 2 sets of wheels.  Tubbies for racing.  Clinchers for training

But since 2012 I moved away from tubbies.

Expensive to replace

Impossible to repair

A bit of a bitch to put on and take off

The replacing of brake pads is a "effort"

I still have two sets of wheels.  But both clinchers.  One normal section wheel and then a deep section for "racing".  (For the lack of a better word 'cause funriders right?)

No switching of brake pads.

Once a year I put my racing tyres on the training wheels and new tekkies then for the racing hoops. 

If something should happen to one of the wheels (and I has happened before) then you can quickly just chuck the racing wheel on.

Very convenient.

If I was in your position, sell the tubbies and look for a nice set of clinchers that you are going to enjoy riding.

Been cycling for the most part of 22 years. Always had 2 sets of wheels. Tubbies for racing. Clinchers for training

But since 2012 I moved away from tubbies.

Expensive to replace

Impossible to repair

A bit of a bitch to put on and take off

The replacing of brake pads is a "effort"

I still have two sets of wheels. But both clinchers. One normal section wheel and then a deep section for "racing". (For the lack of a better word 'cause funriders right?)

No switching of brake pads.

Once a year I put my racing tyres on the training wheels and new tekkies then for the racing hoops.

If something should happen to one of the wheels (and I has happened before) then you can quickly just chuck the racing wheel on.

Very convenient.

If I was in your position, sell the tubbies and look for a nice set of clinchers that you are going to enjoy riding.

????????????

Thanks, good advice.

How about these: American Classic Argent

- Tubeless

- Carbon Weight (1392g)

- Fraction of the price of carbon

- 107kg rider limit

- No fancy pads needed

You beat me to it. Tubeless is the way to go and the AC Argents are awesome.