Protocol when riding/ joining in a group

Viv911

You need to understand that for a strange man to not greet, then put his face up my backside and follow me on my ride is borderline stalkerish.  I ride with my hands in the drops 90% of the time, and spandex does not leave much to the imagination. Respect a persons personal space. You just don't do that to a lady. 

Is it ok if a woman does this to you? 

:P

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it ok if a woman does this to you? 

:P

I think guys would not mind as much if a lady drafted his wheel.  Men sometimes enjoy an opportunity to be chivalrous and helpful.  It is still polite to ask though.

I think guys would not mind as much if a lady drafted his wheel.  Men sometimes enjoy an opportunity to be chivalrous and helpful.  It is still polite to ask though.

That's not exactly what I meant, but I do agree with you. :ph34r: When I join a group, I will say hi and ask if I can tag along. If I pass I will still greet. But I am generally friendly like that, so, each to his own I guess. 

I totally get courtesy and saying hi but it is this arrogant mentality that contributed to me leaving road cycling. So whatever dude. Go ride your exclusive little groups. I will stay out of your way out on the trails.

Don't cop out by turning this into a mtb'er roadie thing, it's not. Argue the point.

(Walks in, notices what is going on here.... Remembers that there are better stuff to do than to get involved in this, like writing a report for a government department... Walks out)

(Walks in, notices what is going on here.... Remembers that there are better stuff to do than to get involved in this, like writing a report for a government department... Walks out)

Very DA of you :P

Rule #19//
Introduce Yourself.

If you deem it appropriate to join a group of riders who are not part of an open group ride and who are not your mates, it is customary and courteous to announce your presence. Introduce yourself and ask if you may join the group. If you have been passed by a group, wait for an invitation, introduce yourself, or let them go. The silent joiner is viewed as ill-mannered and Anti-V. Conversely, the joiner who can’t shut their cakehole is no better and should be dropped from the group at first opportunity.

Edited by funjunkie

If you caught up to them then you should pass them and continue along your way, there would be no need to join them.  If they overtook you then it is a good thing to greet first.  Followed by a "Can we work together?"  This is better than "Can I join you," because it implies that you are willing to do your share of work at the front.

If Im riding alone and I pass someone and they jump on my wheel without saying anything.....and they do not come to the front within the next two kays I'll get out the saddle and make a very obvious effort to sprint a good distance to get rid of them.  I wont tolerate a stranger staring at my backside having a free ride.

I absolutely agree - this happened to me last week.  An older man jumped on my wheel as I passed him, and just sat there without saying anything for at least 5km, despite my pointed backwards looks.  I also asked him if he was planning on helping me out at in the headwind.  He just didn't answer.  I then moved to the side and sprinted away so the wind pushed him backwards without giving him a chance to react.  

I have no time for rudeness and stalker behaviour.  

I absolutely agree - this happened to me last week. An older man jumped on my wheel as I passed him, and just sat there without saying anything for at least 5km, despite my pointed backwards looks. I also asked him if he was planning on helping me out at in the headwind. He just didn't answer. I then moved to the side and sprinted away so the wind pushed him backwards without giving him a chance to react.

I have no time for rudeness and stalker behaviour.

I think we know who that was, from page 1. Don't worry, he now only rides on the mountain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we know who that was, from page 1. Don't worry, he now only rides on the mountain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha...I think you are right  :thumbup:

Good thing too - that attitude is something else!!!

The debate on this topic reminds me of something I read on another thread...

For those who understand, no explanation is needed

For those who don't understand, no explanation will do

Have to say, if im out riding with a mate, not too mad about random dudes hooking onto us, greet for sure!, bit rude not to.

If I am riding solo and a bunch of mates or a group come past i greet but dont jump on their wheels, even if I reckon I could keep pace no prob I will take it easy and let them go ahead, at least out of conversation earshot.

If I come up on a group that are riding slower, I give a Howzit!, and carry on at my pace, dont sprint past people then sit 20m ahead of them. (Find that pretty irritating when it happens to me).