Heart Rate

I tend to do short 15km high intensity rides with lots of climbing and fast descents.

Often my heart rate is sustained at over 90% and sometimes even just over 100% for short bursts. I tend to ride as fast as possible all the time. Is it wise to exercise like this or should I consider taking it a bit easier? Are there any benefits to this kind of training apart from the Adrenalin rush?

Cheers ! :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Balls to the walls!!!

All out if you can

​And ensure you do longer rides over weekend just to get the legs and backside use to the hours

Edited by Cycling Major

It depends on your training goals.  If you planning on doing a 100 km race you should also spend time doing longer distances.  You are doing power training to some extent but no endurance training.

I tend to do short 15km high intensity rides with lots of climbing and fast descents.

Often my heart rate is sustained at over 90% and sometimes even just over 100% for short bursts. I tend to ride as fast as possible all the time. Is it wise to exercise like this or should I consider taking it a bit easier? Are there any benefits to this kind of training apart from the Adrenalin rush?

How old are you? what is your training status, and finally - how did you determine 100% of your heart rate?

Actually - I guarantee that what you think is 100% is not 100%.... so all your percentages are off.

i used to go balls to the walls all the time when on a bike and i was told not to do it. rather do controlled intervals and some days just go for easy rides etc. but i am no kenner so i just go out to enjoy myself these days.

As a well known, and well missed Hubber used to say:

Go till you blow.

Whew, this is exactly why we have amongst the best trails and conditions in the world BUT very few top riders emerging to be world beaters. We train awfully wrong! No plans with scientific input, no recovery rides, no proper goals......balls to the wall is utter rubbish.

It's only a question of time til you blow.....

Ok, it's "only" 15km so should be fun and exciting. Not much can go wrong, right? Wrong? Eventually....

Invest a little time and money and hook up with a coach who will discuss your goals with you and make some training plans for you to achieve what you want (and no, it doesn't have to be to race).

I've worked with Swen Lauer (from Germany) - has the credentials and knows his stuff (currently training Jennie Stenerhag and Esther Suess for Epic). Give it a bash.....

...or go till you blow.

ps same goes for skills training - just saying :whistling:

good luck

Whew, this is exactly why we have amongst the best trails and conditions in the world BUT very few top riders emerging to be world beaters. We train awfully wrong! No plans with scientific input, no recovery rides, no proper goals......balls to the wall is utter rubbish.

Ok, it's "only" 15km so should be fun and exciting. Not much can go wrong, right? Wrong? Eventually....

Invest a little time and money and hook up with a coach who will discuss your goals with you and make some training plans for you to achieve what you want (and no, it doesn't have to be to race).

I've worked with Swen Lauer (from Germany) - has the credentials and knows his stuff (currently training Jennie Stenerhag and Esther Suess for Epic). Give it a bash.....

...or go till you blow.

good luck

oh oh... Friday is going to come early!!  :ph34r:

The one and only Swen Lauer https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/151607-disappointed-in-coach-swen-lauer-swenlauercom/?hl=swen+lauer

Edited by shaper

oh oh... Friday is going to come early!!  :ph34r:

Was thinking the EXACT same thing!!! :clap: 

Oh well this week has been so long it feels like Friday (with no Saturday to follow)

...or go till you blow.

good luck

Maybe ask Swen for a refund.....from Esther Suss' website - seit Sommer 2016 mache ich meine Trainingspläne selber (since Summer of 2016 I do my own trainingplan.) 

Edited by jcza

I've worked with Swen Lauer (from Germany) - has the credentials and knows his stuff (currently training Jennie Stenerhag and Esther Suess for Epic).

good luck

Have you checked up on this clown? perhaps ask Jenni and Esther themselves..... while you are at it, ask Jenni how her heart is doing...

...or go till you blow.

good luck

Are you not Swen's brother doing some marketing for him now??? :w00t: