DVT, Blood clots and riding

Perhaps I should also have said that I'm not interested in opinions about whether I should compete or not :)

I'm a big boy, I can make my own mind up.

Are you going to admit to the DVT to the race organizers and your travel insurers?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only came to mind now, I did Sani 7 months after being in hospital and being diagnosed (was still on warfarin etc).

Yeah that's an option, though the organisers specifically say 'no refunds, no transfers'.

Just regarding risk: people climb Everest, take part in rampage, drive, skydive. Some people even choose to live in Joburg :)

I think the key is to understand the risks, decide what's acceptable and then have a plan to mitigate the risks as far as possible. That's my plan.

Only came to mind now, I did Sani 7 months after being in hospital and being diagnosed (was still on warfarin etc).

How did it go with the training etc? Did your dr clear it?

How did it go with the training etc? Did your dr clear it?

Nope.

I didn't really train...haha...sort 30km rides a couple of times a week and then one 'long' 90ish km ride.

My partner and I just did it for fun on trail bikes :)

I've had at least five incidents of superficial thrombophlebitis. Have a clot in my leg right now actually. The first time I got one was four weeks before Sani2C. I was put on heparin injections and told not to do any exercise and to keep my leg elevated for two weeks. The injections have no side-effects apart from the risk of unstoppable bleeding should I have injured myself.

I've done many long-haul flights to the US and Canada. I always wear the full length medical compression stockings, smear heparin gel (thrombophob) on my leg regularly, and drink disprins. I book an aisle seat so that I can walk often. Things don't always work as planned though. Had one 15 hr flight from New York that had clear-air turbulence for the entire flight and we were not allowed to leave our seats. I ended up with a clot after that flight.

If I were you I'd discuss your medication with your doctor. Perhaps you can be put on other medication which doesn't have side-effects. I would actually do that whether you do the race or not as it sounds as though you are struggling with the side-effects.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Medically - you have probably been advised to NOT consider the Haute Route event already by your doctors - and my opinion is the same - put it on hold for a year at least and focus on recovery.

My second opinion is that you should discuss your participation in events like Epic and HR with your family AND the event organizers medical staff - while you are being treated with anti-coagulants, you SIGNIFICANTLY complicate emergency medical care in the event of an accident - if I was HR medical director (and I am not) I would not consider your participation medically advisable at all - and in all likelihood just bar you on medical grounds. I also have no idea what effect your participation would have on the organizers insurance cover - but it won't be good, and your travel insurance is going to say it's a pre-existing condition and likely not cover you - the financial implications of getting you home for long term treatment after an incident will be significant.

Also - your family should have a say - they are going to be involved in sorting out the mess and your long term care if you have an incident with long term side effects.... a small clot in the brain can do a lot of damage, and we may not be able to recover from that.

Try and be sensible.... follow your doctors orders exactly.... play open cards with your family, the event organizers and your medical team.

Good luck with recovery - hope it goes well.

HA - Am I going to have to airfreight you Clexane? you know that won't be easy....

I declared using blood thinners on both panorama and berg&bush and nobody tried to stop me participating. My pulmonologist was happy i ride just take care not to crash, which i did.

I declared using blood thinners on both panorama and berg&bush and nobody tried to stop me participating. My pulmonologist was happy i ride just take care not to crash, which i did.

The first time I was on Xarelto I face-butted a tree while mtb'ing, putting both bottom teeth through my lower lip and knocking my one front tooth out.....That was not so lekker but funnily enough I did not bleed that much.

It very much depends on what medication you are taking and why - as well as dosages - some we have antidotes for and some we don't.... still not a great idea to ride post dvt during initial treatment.

I go along with everyone else here.You need to find the cause of your embolus.

Go to a cardiologist for a echo to exclude ASD or atrial myxoma.

I know it's not what you want to hear but skip the race until you have found the cause to why you are embolising.If you have a medical incident while doing the ride you and your family are in serious trouble.You have already declared that you have a pre existing condition so your medical aid or insurance will pay ZERO.Its a scenario I see often and we see it again next week after argus ( international rider,pre existing medical condition,come to race,has medical incident)

To be brutal,if you do go ride with known medical condition and something happens to you DONT expect any sympathy from the doctors and hospitals when it comes to billing.

A strong young (34) Dutch rider died on the first day of Tankwa Trek a month ago. He was on blood thinning medication. I know he didn't crash but I haven't heard what the cause of death of.

Also your Doctor can't say to you 'Dont' crash'. You ride your bike, you WILL crash at some stage. Normal falls, abrasions etc are no problem but a big blow to your head may result in a small bleed on the brain which would normally coagulate quickly leaving you with little more than concussion. On blood thinners that bled will not coagulate quickly enough. If you're lucky that small brain bleed will kill you; if not it may well leave you with a severe brain injury with all the devastating consequences that go with that.

So riding any form of ride where it may be technical or you're at the mercy of other riders or road users' mistakes means you will fall at some stage. It all depends on how lucky you feel taking the chance of how serious that fall might be.

I go along with everyone else here.You need to find the cause of your embolus.

Go to a cardiologist for a echo to exclude ASD or atrial myxoma.

I know it's not what you want to hear but skip the race until you have found the cause to why you are embolising.If you have a medical incident while doing the ride you and your family are in serious trouble.You have already declared that you have a pre existing condition so your medical aid or insurance will pay ZERO.Its a scenario I see often and we see it again next week after argus ( international rider,pre existing medical condition,come to race,has medical incident)

To be brutal,if you do go ride with known medical condition and something happens to you DONT expect any sympathy from the doctors and hospitals when it comes to billing.

Sorry but it's not true that insurers will not pay out in the case of a pre-existing medical condition. I've already stated its possible to declare a medical condition and get insurance for it.

Also - of course I am going to try get to the bottom of what is causing the problem.

Finally - I am also very well aware of the risks of riding bikes and head injuries etc.

It very much depends on what medication you are taking and why - as well as dosages - some we have antidotes for and some we don't.... still not a great idea to ride post dvt during initial treatment.

20 mg xeralto no anti agents..

I carries some special plasters along thats stops bleeding. Just in acse

I carries some special plasters along thats stops bleeding. Just in acse

What happens when you break your arm and have internal bleeding.... ??? perhaps a compound fracture where the bone sticks though the skin?

You see - that's not so simple.... or cheap - or depending on what it is, even possible in the field... a race doc's worst nightmare... and an ER pain as well - although usually better equipped and resourced than a race doc

The simple fact of the matter is that sometimes it's better not to ride - for everyone.