Achilles nightmare

1q2w3e

My dad snapped his at 70 years young in the Cederberg about 6 months ago. With a good exercise and stretch program worked out by professionals, he is almost walking normal on the level now. The younger you are, the quicker the recovery.

Key is to get to a good physio / biokineticist the day the doctor gets you out of the fixed cast. A lot can be done by massage straight away and then build up the exercise load gradually.

Swimming is excellent exercise that you can do almost immediately.

mountain_lion2008-05-19 14:23:15

i ruptured my achilles unclipping to avoid an oncomming  car, which hit someone else in our bunch,(u know how cars dont regard cyclists as oncomming traffic!)

couldnt ride for 4months,

best just to rest

Thanks for the advice and sympathy everyone. It really helps. I have started doing press ups to get some heart rate going, but its a pretty poor substitute. Look forward to the swimming in 6 weeks tho, that should feel pretty great.

In the meantime, enjoy the roads and trails everyone!

1q2w3e (ah! for the first time I understand yr nick! its a keyboard thing!) - don't push the envelope on this one, do your time. Squash is a big culprit with this injury - and the story is always the same. Injured party thinking they were hit by partner ..

Hi Ronelle - yes, it took about an hour before I was convinced that my opponent hadn't assaulted me! We were playing league so it wouldn't have been unheard of :)

And my nickname is just lazy keyboard strokes - my name is Dave for what its worth. Tks for the advice - I am trying to get positive and respect the process, but really starting to feel weird without exercise!