Cape Town Cycle Tour agrees to Women's only Invitational start group starting in Glencairn

News bot

Following a request and extensive discussion with the Women’s Commission of Cycling South Africa and representatives of the Cape Town Cycle Tour, it has been agreed that we will facilitate a Women’s only Invitational start group in Glencairn.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if they have separate results page compared to the woman who is doing the full 109km.

I do believe the answer to your question lies in the first three words of the story... "Following a request"

Presume he meant the reason for the change, not the obvious fact that a request was made. . . 

So my wife's team decided not to send her down as racing with men is pointless as because of her size sprinting against them (read sucking the fastest men's wheel) is not her strength...

Now THIS changes everything and the race is in her favor....

What a complete fukcup!

So hasn't even trained all week as she was demotivated... even if she would go down now...

If you can't organise a proper race just call it a funride and get one with it ;)

Why a shorter distance ... what happen to equality .... 

A woman's only start group i can understand.... 

Wont the men catch them and then have a problem going past them ....

I do believe the answer to your question lies in the first three words of the story... "Following a request"

Sure, someone asked, but what is the justification?

If I ask Minister Dlamini for R100k, will she just give me the money, or will I have to justify it somehow, like delivering a service or favour?

I still don't get why, on the ATP and WTA tours, the men and women play 3 sets each, but when the Majors come around, only the men play 5 sets and the women still only play 3. More TV time will mean more sponsorship money, which will mean more prize money. 

Some preferential treatment going on here... as by invite only!  Sort of not real the CTCT for the elites and U23 if only doing part distance

and .. they announce this 2 1/2 days before the start .... why not make it from next year if they want to give the elite ladies a shorter route ... then they can at least train properly for it ....

So now they trained for 109 km ...  including 1 extra hill .... If they had known .. they could have adapted there training accordingly ... Sometimes i wonder if the organizers know how much there decisions affect the participants .. Maybe only if it effect the bottom line then they will worry.

and .. they announce this 2 1/2 days before the start .... why not make it from next year if they want to give the elite ladies a shorter route ... then they can at least train properly for it ....

So now they trained for 109 km ...  including 1 extra hill .... If they had known .. they could have adapted there training accordingly ... Sometimes i wonder if the organizers know how much there decisions affect the participants .. Maybe only if it effect the bottom line then they will worry.

Not sure if you are sarcastic or not?? Whether the race is 109 or 100 or 90km would have made no difference to their training at all.

For years the organisers have failed to find a starting spot for the ladies where they don't get caught by the fun riders - think this is a great solution.

If any of the moaners on here have a brilliant alternative solution that nobody else have thought off I'm sure the organisers would be more than happy to hear them.

Maybe I am missing something here but also having a huge WTF moment here.

SA Cycling wonder why our girls have such a tough time to get into the European style of riding and the answer to this is a shorter race?