Cape Town Cycle Tour agrees to Women's only Invitational start group starting in Glencairn

News bot

Why exactly are they doing this?

Apart from being totally misogynist I'm sure you can work it out for yourself.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Race only starts on Chappies so shorter distance shouldnt matter. 

Total shambles last year with men catching ladies very early on. (same as every other year) 

Correct decision. Ladies should have their own race. 

Can i request that people weighing over 110kg start from the top of Suikerbossie?

Granted

Subject to you riding a Es-Werke or a Pinachello

Race only starts on Chappies so shorter distance shouldnt matter. 

Total shambles last year with men catching ladies very early on. (same as every other year) 

Correct decision. Ladies should have their own race. 

I fully agree with the race on their own.  Just don't think we are doing any favours in lowering the standards.

I fully agree with the race on their own.  Just don't think we are doing any favours in lowering the standards.

All over Europe ladies races are shorter and I don't think it means that the standard is lower. 

All over Europe ladies races are shorter and I don't think it means that the standard is lower. 

Shorter than the mens races yes (which is closer or over 200 km) but not 70 odd km.

Shorter than the mens races yes (which is closer or over 200 km) but not 70 odd km.

Okay, so if the men's race is say 200km, what would the women's race then be?

If you say about 150km, then I would see this as making sense. . . a proportionate reduction in the race distance. And more importantly allowing the women to race on their own.

Maybe I am missing something here but also having a huge WTF moment here.

SA Cycling wonder why our girls have such a tough time to get into the European style of riding and the answer to this is a shorter race?

Racing in South Africa aren't going to help them make the step up. Racing in Europe is the only  way. But making them race on their own (not hanging on to the faster groups) and more importantly, safer, I think is a big win!

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Nibali

That is crap!

Ladies can start behind Vets as separate group. If A or B group catch up, they must pass them and the ladies are not allowed to follow them. Red card, finish and klaar...

Racing in South Africa isn't going to help them make the step up. Racing in Europe is the only way. But making them race on their own (not hanging on to the faster groups) and more importantly, safer, I think is a big win!

Not all have Euro ambitions

Creating cool opportunity for local women's racing is definitely important

Let's see what the feedback is afterwards

Browsing through some of the races on the UCI calendar I see distances of 175 km etc.  I agree with the Women who should have their own races and it has been a problem for many years especially on the CTCT.  But for SA Womens cycling to be more competitive on International level I think we are fooling ourselves.  Maybe my perception is just warped but that is the way I see it.

wow, surely this is too late for such a drastic change - even if it is the right one?

not ideal that it has to be shorter, but if it's the only way to get a true lady's field - then it must be.

I'm sure my undertrained mother in her 60's wouldn't mind starting at glencairn, wonder if she should apply?!

That is crap!

Ladies can start behind Vets as separate group. If A or B group catch up, they must pass them and the ladies are not allowed to follow them. Red card, finish and klaar...

Easier said than done.  Done a few CTCT where we caught the ladies and it has always caused a problem (Ok they did ride with VC).  

Has there been a Womens only group on the CTCT.  I beleive so but not sure.

Maybe I am missing something here but also having a huge WTF moment here.

SA Cycling wonder why our girls have such a tough time to get into the European style of riding and the answer to this is a shorter race?

Believe it or not most races which are short are hard and many a TDF shortened stage has proven to be the most important - all the way back to 1996 - Bjarne Riis when he basically won the tour on a shortened to about 45 km stage due to weather.