Slicks on a MTB?

go4

Hi guys,

I have a friend who is doing the Argus this Sunday on a mountain bike. Will it be beneficial to change the tyres to slicks? 

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hopefully Chris Willemse will be able to help out on short notice  :w00t:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hopefully Chris Willemse will be able to help out on short notice  :w00t:

If its a 29er - I am running road bike tyres on stock Giant 29er PXC wheels. 25c, 28c and 32c work well - I tried them all. 25c and 28c has a nice profile with the fat mtb rims. which I also run with 25c road tubes without any issues.

if it is a 650b or 26er you will need specific tyres per size

If its a 29er - I am running road bike tyres on stock Giant 29er PXC wheels. 25c, 28c and 32c work well - I tried them all. 25c and 28c has a nice profile with the fat mtb rims. which I also run with 25c road tubes without any issues.

if it is a 650b or 26er you will need specific tyres per size

pics! 

pics! 

And they on a 26er...

28c rear and 32c front. This was with 32c tubes. No pics yet of the 25c tyres and tubes. but you can see the 28c is fatter than the rim still. the 25c sits quite nice and clearance is better - 28c was a bit toight in the rear... ;)

post-51814-0-92327700-1489138361_thumb.jpg

post-51814-0-12955600-1489138363_thumb.jpg

post-51814-0-64887600-1489138364_thumb.jpg

Edited by s14phoenix

Hi guys,

I have a friend who is doing the Argus this Sunday on a mountain bike. Will it be beneficial to change the tyres to slicks? 

Thanks!

If he is a novice ,he will need the mtb tyres to avoid crashing into the 30000 or so ,other non savvy cyclists that he will have the privilege of sharing a 6 meter wide road surface with 

And they on a 26er...

28c rear and 32c front. This was with 32c tubes. No pics yet of the 25c tyres and tubes. but you can see the 28c is fatter than the rim still. the 25c sits quite nice and clearance is better - 28c was a bit toight in the rear... ;)

attachicon.gifDSC_0776.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0777.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0778.JPG

Oi! That bikes looks like a cross dresser  :ph34r:  :whistling:

No!

It is always best to annoy roadies with knobblies. Just put a bit more air in them.

Tom

Most roadies have MTBs at home these days

#justsaying