Stages Power Meter - Eating my battery

Francois Pienaar

I recently bought a power meter and it worked perfectly for a while.  I then changed the battery and since then it's become VERY hungry on batteries.  I'm a week out of EPIC and now it seems like I need a new battery daily.

A friend mentioned once they start giving trouble they eat batteries (as in they don't sleep), but I'd just like to confirm this.

Anyone had this issue?

I recently bought a power meter and it worked perfectly for a while. I then changed the battery and since then it's become VERY hungry on batteries. I'm a week out of EPIC and now it seems like I need a new battery daily.

A friend mentioned once they start giving trouble they eat batteries (as in they don't sleep), but I'd just like to confirm this.

Anyone had this issue?

yup- wet inside - got warrantied

I recently bought a power meter and it worked perfectly for a while. I then changed the battery and since then it's become VERY hungry on batteries. I'm a week out of EPIC and now it seems like I need a new battery daily.

Anyone had this issue?

If it is still not playing ball on the Epic, just switch it off and forget about it.

You should have enough experience by now to not be a slave to your data and to be able to ride on feel.

Omnico is the supplier. I've only had good dealings with them. Take it back to your LBS and have them start the warranty claim process.

If it is still not playing ball on the Epic, just switch it off and forget about it.

You should have enough experience by now to not be a slave to your data and to be able to ride on feel.

Omnico is the supplier. I've only had good dealings with them. Take it back to your LBS and have them start the warranty claim process.

Thank Phil.  Yes, I wouldn't say I'm a slave to the numbers, but as this is my first EPIC I was hoping to keep a close eye on the IF to make sure I don't go too hard too early and mushroom cloud ja know.

I updated the firmware this am and have left a battery in.  Let's see how long it lasts.

My solution for the epic is to buy a battery per day.  :)

Take the cap off, use a hair dryer at mild speed for a few minutes and dry the unit out. Leave the cap off overnight and place new battery in the morning.

Should be perfect and good to go.

Take the cap off, use a hair dryer at mild speed for a few minutes and dry the unit out. Leave the cap off overnight and place new battery in the morning.

Should be perfect and good to go.

This ☝????

It's a damp thing

Also try to seal the cover when its operational again

Maybe insulation tape or something for some waterproofing

Alternatively, place the crank arm in a large enough tub with rice (completely covered) for as long as possible.

If you can get clay desiccant (silica gel), it's even better - it's those sachets you find in shoes and other products sensitive to mould.

This ☝

It's a damp thing

Also try to seal the cover when its operational again

Maybe insulation tape or something for some waterproofing

No don't do that, the moisture created from it being covered is often what damages the unit. The Gen 2 units don't need that.

No don't do that, the moisture created from it being covered is often what damages the unit. The Gen 2 units don't need that.

Yip ????????

As a precaution:

When I ride in the damp or wet, I tape it up

And then remove it when back home to air

When I ride in dry, I remove the tape

Not lekka to lose numbers when you want to have a look during a ride

Got Gen 2 on the MTB

Will have to upgrade my roadie sometime ????