Cape Town Cycle Tour 2017 cancelled

News bot

Based on consultation with all the emergency services, the Joint Operations Centre of the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2017 regrets to announce that they have had to take the unprecedented step of cancelling this year’s 40th Cycle Tour. This is due to winds in excess of 100km/hour on parts of the route, and the need to urgently clear the roads for emergency vehicles to attend to fires.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will just sit here with my popcorn, waiting for the inevitable comment:

"the wind was predicted days ago, why did they not just move the race to another date".....

Disappointing ,but nessasary. I remember 2009 wind pumping MTN tent, start finish banners etc all blew away and the race still went ahead.

I finished in one piece ,but going down chappies was no joke...

Light bike=kite :-)

PS:I would have preferred the race cancelled that year

Where on the route was it that bad? I got to end of blue route where they physically stopped us from going further. Yes it was hectic at the start but after that it was ridable. There are going to be a lot of angry people, me included.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

same arguments were made when they canceled the swim leg at half ironman; a few people would have made it if they allowed it; even some of the pros came out shaken up.

Problem is you have 40 000 odd ppl, if a single % of them get into serious crashes then its carnage to try and remedy. One 100km gust of wind coming a around a corner at 60km a hour when you have 20 sets of wheels around you... instant bone yard. 

Screaming southerly on this side. Was my intent to going rowing this morning but with this wind I will keep myself busy in the workshop for the rest of the day. this wind is a heart attack waiting to happen.  

That's after we received this earlier in the morning:

Urgent route update! The #cycletour2017 will be diverted over Glencairn express way due to protest action on the route.Distance now approx 78km

I'm very much interested to hear more about the protest action and why it was decided to target the Cycle Tour. Protests don't magically spring up at 6am on a Sunday morning, there must be a story.

Wind is part of cycling. HTFU

Entering the race you agree to indemnify the race organisers against a host of stuff.

And what if we get hold hostage again next year by protesters on a hot sunny day.

Blaming the wind is an easy excuse to avoid the political stuff

Im sure the Epic will cancel the prologue because its to windy on Dorsberg

Im now lekker die moer in