Cape Town Cycle Tour 2017 cancelled

News bot

I feel for the people that travelled far and spend much money to attend this race. I think the wind excuse is BS, and that the real reason lies elsewhere. I believe the wind was worse in 2009, yet many people finished that race.

Not fair.

Edited by isn

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for the people that travelled far and spend much money to attend this race. I think the wind excuse is BS, and that the real reason lies elsewhere. I believe the wind was worse in 2009, yet many people finished that race.

I wonder if you think that the wind on chappies would be seen as bull**** weather conditions as well. I'm sure that several people would've been blown over that cliffs if they alone couldn't handled the foreshore winds. I think it was a good call.

So what are the odds that City of Cape Town will arrange the same road closures for us on one of the upcoming Sundays?

No support, no refreshment stations, no timing, no organising and no responsibility apart from the road closures.

That way we can all have a lekker cruise around the route and the event still takes place but in a slightly different form.

I wonder if you think that the wind on chappies would be seen as bull**** weather conditions as well. I'm sure that several people would've been blown over that cliffs if they alone couldn't handled the foreshore winds. I think it was a good call.

You know how it would have turned out if they let the guys ride today and somebody got hurt...

"Look at these selfish event organizers that let people ride in dangerous conditions, it was very irresponsible of them to allow those poor people who got injured to ride in the first place!!"

Edited by Patchelicious

Was ready to start my 20th(including 09), cancelled got home to try beat the traffic. Wifey says hey, you got the morning off go do something. As I'm already in my kit I chose to ride. It was windy, but I wouldn't say too dangerous. Ended up doing the 80km route from Muizies via glencairn, chappies and town, coming back on main road as M3 was open to cars. Coming down chappies and oudekraal was a bit entertaining but you just keep going.

Was it windy, yes

Was it dangerous, IMHO not really.

I don't think they need to move the date, maybe the start can shift other side of civic centre of it's too windy.

So in my mind, wrong decision. As am experienced cyclist I would have liked the option to go for. But I'm not sitting in his shoes with all the info, and don't envy the situation he now sits in.

This was all about the national ruling party trying to p*ss the local ruling party off with protest action...and then there was some wind as well...

Good call to stop.

Good one. I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's not as simple as you think... in "Hindsight" solutions come up... but that's only because one had time to sit and think about all the scenarios and what the best one is that could have been chosen.... if you have a better solution than the one taken today... please share, bear in mind, considering ALL the issues around the route (including the wind factor) and a contingency plan put in place for your alternate route!

#it'snotthatsimple

It might be worth looking at making the race on a Saturday instead of a Sunday. Yes, lots of non cyclists might complain, but I am thinking of people who spend money to get here. Then if the weather is not suitable on the Saturday, you can at least postpone it to the Sunday. We see that the weather can be chalk and cheese from one day to the next. So maybe this is a way of looking at the race as a whole week end. The wind is hectic, but if we raced yesterday, it would just have been the heat. 

As for the protest action....it was not a surprise, believe me. This was discussed at nauseam between the parties that be. I am talking political level, not the organisers. Maybe there were communication between the organisers and the political parties, but if there wasn't..... there should have been. Like I said, this day was chosen to give the protest maximum effect.

People are annoyed and disappointed...some relieved.....everyone works through it in their own way.This forum is one where we can vent and discuss and bicker.....don't bite each other!

So The highest windspeed recorded at the cable station today................

101km/h

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I travelled here from Germany for the Race and spend with the Family about 100000R for this holiday. It is my 13th Argus as an oversea entrant. My comment about cancellation?

A) Yes it was much more wind in 2009. I was not ok with the decision to let it go in 09, because that was madness. Although I had my best result ever.

B) The cancellation today was ok for Safety Resons because of the wind.

C) It is not ok if 300 illegal protesters stop 35000 enthusiastic cyclists. You have a good police here, did any political influence stop the police doing their job?

D) will SA media will tell us the truth about the Whole Story of protests in the middle of the Night on the Race Course?

E) We Live in Houtbay- of Course the Fire was there today, but that cannot be a Reason for cancellation, cause it burned down Controlled today.

So the cancellation is ok for me- but please be honest and open about the background of the Organisation of the Protest this night.