Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod Note:

Disagree or agree with decisions, but provide reasoning.

Random keyboard warrior comments simply to stir trouble will not be tolerated.

Apologies to the comments that were valid but edited in tidy up.

Would have been fun to let it run a bit and see how he would have justified his statement

I understand the fact that no refunds will be given, but at least they could have provided some sort of redemption by giving all of this year's entrants first option on the entries for next year in their lottery process.

Edited by Moridin

In light of cancellation of said event I decided to take a short ride through the suburbs and can 100% agree with the organisers decision given first hand account of the wind. I must however seriously question the timing of fires and protest action. Why today? Who perpetrated this and to what political end?

Sent from my HS-U961 using Tapatalk

Well done CTCT. See you all next year for the 41st tour. I also chose to ignore my 40th birthday

Is this then officially the 40th, and will I thus be credited with my 6th? Or is next year officially then the 40th?

The 47km route always need t be an option on the day. Read my post on page 5 "Cape Town cycle tour 2017 cancelled."

S0 the thinking is something is better than nothing

Mod Note:

Disagree or agree with decisions, but provide reasoning.

Random keyboard warrior comments simply to stir trouble will not be tolerated.

Apologies to the comments that were valid but edited in tidy up.

Not only did I waste months training for this event and pay for 3 entries so I could do a double lap with my daughter but then the mods decide that my time is no longer important and delete my well reasoned and documented post about the PR statement by Bellairs.

Do I rewrite it or do I just say that I think both actions are completely wrong. Deleting a whole thread AND ignoring the loss of life in a fire but using the cancellation of the CTCT as PR exercise for donations to that particular community.

Two observations is passing:

• Letting protesters "win" by diverting then cancelling the race opens a MASSIVE opportunity nationwide to destroy these sorts of events.
  • Using a fire as a PR exercise when the fire was a day before the event but ignoring the hundreds of fires that occur annually with no support from the CTCT smacks of opportunism by the organisers.

Did any journalists ask why the race start remained in a high wind area that is the Civic Centre wind tunnel when the forecast 10 days ago forecast today's wind?

Not only did I waste months training for this event and pay for 3 entries so I could do a double lap with my daughter but then the mods decide that my time is no longer important and delete my well reasoned and documented post about the PR statement by Bellairs.

Do I rewrite it or do I just say that I think both actions are completely wrong. Deleting a whole thread AND ignoring the loss of life in a fire but using the cancellation of the CTCT as PR exercise for donations to that particular community.

Two observations is passing:

• Letting protesters "win" by diverting then cancelling the race opens a MASSIVE opportunity nationwide to destroy these sorts of events.
  • Using a fire as a PR exercise when the fire was a day before the event but ignoring the hundreds of fires that occur annually with no support from the CTCT smacks of opportunism by the organisers.

Did any journalists ask why the race start remained in a high wind area that is the Civic Centre wind tunnel when the forecast 10 days ago forecast today's wind?

Umm, the mods did not delete any of your posts.

But if you can direct me to your post. I will gladly put it up. And most of your posts have reasoning anyway, so why would we edit them ?

i believe the event was called off because of the protest action.

Some reasoning there, Andy Arnesan?

Don't just drop the Mic ???? like that ????

Edited by 'Dale

S0 the thinking is something is better than nothing

Yes indeed - a lot of people come from all over the world - to do nothing? I think 47km as a last minute plan even can be change once race has started (that's if they offer a short route anyway like most funrides do) is better than nothing.

Edited by Icycling

Yes indeed - a lot of people come from all over the world - to do nothing? I think 47km as a last minute plan even can be change once race has started (that's if they offer a short route anyway like most funrides do) is better than nothing.

Exactly, so many alternatives around!! We ended up doing a short ride in the wind anyway even so it was a bit tricky but not as bad as the civic centre start which was just treacherous.

I would strongly suggest they move the start line

Maybe somewhere on helen suzman turning left onto nelson mandela blvd

:thumbup: , Icycling.

Last year they made the call earlier to shift the route.

This time, they had no time. So would riders be prepared to do the 47km with no support on the way back ?