Ok, so finally got round to this. 

Have a steel fork  26inch

QR 

Steerer 175mm

Unfortunately V brake mounts only

White.

Hey T-Nose

Thanks for the effort.

I was hoping to run Disc brakes via the steerer tube so I can bar spin etc.... 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Brakeless Bra!

Hey T-Nose

Thanks for the effort.

Hey T-Nose

Thanks for the effort.

No problem!

Been riding a niner rigid hard for a few years.

Awesome for and goes really well on my SIR 9.

Will never sell this combo as i have had some awesome wins and seedings on it

I have one of these (Boost) on my bike at the moment.They are locally available trough Gravel & Tour in jhb.

So far im enjoying it oodles, not really missing the sus-fork on the rides i've done up to now. The 29x2.6 rubber at 1.7ish bar is nice and squishy, the steel frame gives me the rest. The last time I rode rigid was in the 90s..in high school. The direct feel you get from stomping up a hill on a rigid fork is totally underrated.

http://carverbikes.com/parts/forks/trail-490/

post-64325-0-28126600-1558188370_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So for some reason I'm starting to feel more and more that I want to replace my current bike with a 29er plus rigid mtb, pretty much your exact bike plus maybe some bigger tyres.

Problem is I can't seem to find where one would be able to locally purchase a frame that could work for this. The Trek Stache is one option but it seems to be discontinued as far as I can tell. I'd love a steel frame, but can't find one of those either.

Ideally looking for a super-burly flat bar gravel bike:

• Steel frame.
  • Rigid fork.
  • 29x2.8 or 3.0 tyre clearance.
  • 1x11 or 1x12 gearing (36T chainring's more than enough for me, 34T could work too)

Any idea whether such a beast is in the realm of reality on the cheap?

I have one of these (Boost) on my bike at the moment.They are locally available trough Gravel & Tour in jhb.

So far im enjoying it oodles, not really missing the sus-fork on the rides i've done up to now. The 29x2.6 rubber at 1.7ish bar is nice and squishy, the steel frame gives me the rest. The last time I rode rigid was in the 90s..in high school. The direct feel you get from stomping up a hill on a rigid fork is totally underrated.

http://carverbikes.com/parts/forks/trail-490/

So for some reason I'm starting to feel more and more that I want to replace my current bike with a 29er plus rigid mtb, pretty much your exact bike plus maybe some bigger tyres.

Problem is I can't seem to find where one would be able to locally purchase a frame that could work for this. The Trek Stache is one option but it seems to be discontinued as far as I can tell. I'd love a steel frame, but can't find one of those either.

• Steel frame.
  • Rigid fork.
  • 1x11 or 1x12 gearing (36T chainring's more than enough for me, 34T could work too)

Why not look at the RideFarr gravel frames. Not 100% on tyre size, but they are cheapish and fit the bill.

• Steel frame.
  • Rigid fork.

Try to find a ROS9 gen2 on ebay?

Steel, geared or SS, can take a 140mm suspension fork for fun days, rigid plus fork included......

Otherwise there are definitely still a few Trek Stache options. New old stock. The Gear Change or another TREK dealer will definitely be able to help. There was a really nice carbon one for sale here for 28k and a frame for 12 ish..... Not sure if they are still available and not sure what 'cheap' is.....

I have a ROS9 gen 1 with 2.6 tire clearance. I have a steel rigid fork I can swap out for the 140mm Pike if I wanted,  but I don't. Rowdy steel hardtails are life.

• 1 month later...

So further to this, I ended up buying a Stache. Loving it so far, but I'm considering giving a rigid for a whirl. Unfortunately not many examples to be found floating around in the classifieds and forking out (tee-hee!) R4700 for a Carver carbon fork is a bit steep for something I don't know if I'll like or not.

Any recommendations of alternative supply of rigid forks? 

So further to this, I ended up buying a Stache. Loving it so far, but I'm considering giving a rigid for a whirl. Unfortunately not many examples to be found floating around in the classifieds and forking out (tee-hee!) R4700 for a Carver carbon fork is a bit steep for something I don't know if I'll like or not.

Any recommendations of alternative supply of rigid forks?

Where you based? Eagle Canyon Cycles had a carbon rigid fork in stock with qr