Wahoo launch the Elemnt Bolt bike computer

News bot

Wahoo Fitness, the leader in workout apps and connected fitness devices, today announced ELEMNT BOLT, the latest model in its growing lineup of powerful and easy-touse bike computers. ELEMNT BOLT is the first GPS cycling computer and mount developed as an integrated system designed to drastically reduce drag. When tested against leading competitors using computational fluid dynamics (CFD), the ELEMNT BOLT system reduced air resistance by over 50 percent – equating to a 12.6 second time reduction over a 40-kilometer time trial course for a rider travelling at 21 miles per hour.

Click here to view the article

Pity wahoo not connected with Discovery yet... not sure how you will be able to upload for the ponts?

Am I the only one looking at this statement and rubbing my chin?

It's the language of aero. You only have to say 50% better. Whether it's 50% better than having a sail on the bike or 50% better than the same part with dirty paint is not for us to ask.

Ok I see against leading competitors. But yes I'm also rubbing my chin.

Edited by Showtime

I saw a video on IG of it and showed that mount, regardless of how aero it is, It looks very sexy. I wonder if my edge will fit in that mount? :ph34r:

Not sure if its the same video in the article, I cant watch youtube at work.

No, but it's only because it's EXTREMELY poorly worded.

A person going at 40KPH will complete a course in the same time regardless of their weight, aero properties or ave wattage. 

What they SHOULD say is that it improves aero to a degree such that your required power output is reduced by X watts. 

Or - if you sustain the same wattage as previously used to attain an avg 40kph, your time would be 12.6s faster. 

If we crunch the numbers a bit:

40km at 21mph = 4285 seconds

12.6s saving = 0.29%

21mph would be achieved at ~200W

200W x 0.29% = 0.59W saving

A quick google says shoe covers save ~3.5W so 0.59W seems solid.

You can get 15W savings from the best clincher tyres ... 

The unfortunate thing about the Wahoo products is that if you are with Discovery, and like to accumulate points, then you cannot use the Element to get Vitality points. 

I bought an Element a few months ago, and the okes who distribute were a little economical with the truth on this point, which really pi$$ed me off.  As a result, I never use the blerry thing.  They said you could do manual uploads to Garmin Connect, but Discovery will not credit any workouts manually uploaded or edited.  Only workouts loaded through proprietary websites from the respective manufacturer's devices will be credited, which includes Garmin and Suunto.  Wahoo relies on third party sites, like TrainingPeaks - they do not have their own hosting for data collection.  Sucks, because the devices are lekker

I find the aero thing hilarious. I guess we have become so obsessed with the detail there are fewer and fewer marketing points so the dredging starts - "Hey aero is big - lets make our computer fully aero" 

No, but it's only because it's EXTREMELY poorly worded.

A person going at 40KPH will complete a course in the same time regardless of their weight, aero properties or ave wattage. 

What they SHOULD say is that it improves aero to a degree such that your required power output is reduced by X watts. 

Or - if you sustain the same wattage as previously used to attain an avg 40kph, your time would be 12.6s faster. 

Exactly, but I recon they left it obscure on purpose. I fail to see how a bike computer can allow a 12.6 sec improvement in time and am calling this BS. I see a Bikeradar myth buster video coming soon...