STRAVA and stolen bikes

Mrs Balls

Hi Hubbers, 

Just out of curiosity, how many people in Cape Town whom have had their bikes stolen from their property use Strava? I mean you effectively show your start and ending position on a map and a pic here and there of your bike,now the criminals have everything they need to know... your address and what is for the picking inside based on your pictures on Strava? 

Or am I missing something? 

Hi Hubbers,

Just out of curiosity, how many people in Cape Town whom have had their bikes stolen from their property use Strava? I mean you effectively show your start and ending position on a map and a pic here and there of your bike,now the criminals have everything they need to know... your address and what is for the picking inside based on your pictures on Strava?

There might be case or two like this, but I'm sure the good ol "let's scope out the area" is still the preferred way...

Hi Hubbers,

The potential for criminals is obvious but it would be real hard to know if there are criminals who actually use this unless someone confess.

But that privacy zone setting works well imo and just to be extra vigilant I always start & end my tracking a few blocks away from my house

When you export Data from Garmin it does not use the Privacy Zones, just saying.

Why would you export data from Garmin? The Garmin Express updates to a whole bunch of apps at once or via Garmin connect and then your privacy settings are kept. The only thing I cant seem to get right is to keep the entire ride private.

some valid points here.

I just cant get my head round strava in terms of it being online and non private.

As :stupid:  says, can you make the entire of strava private ?

Yes, only people you approve can follow and see your workouts. But I believe that you can still see private people's activities if you go find the activity in the leaderboards?

Suunto is far worse at sharing locations, garmin connect you don't find peoples movements, but most suunto profiles are fully public. Location sharing is actually a big thing in the GIS industry and there are a lot of ethical considerations that need to be taken into account.

Strava's privacy zone is a good attempt I must say. 

Here's a scary thought- this coming from a geospatial analyst, how many young singles are on tinder where it gives a distance to the other person accurate to 1km. So if you move to 3 different locations and check distances, you can have a fairly good estimate on their location and the more you move given they are are stationary the more accurate it becomes. At this stage all fathers most fathers are running to their daughter's phones to check for the Tinder app.

this is africa, 

U want it??? look for it take it. strava monitoring is  WORK IN my opinion if you steal bikes you see one follow the oke home or just take it on the spot, remember these guys are sitting around 24/7/365 doing nothing but looking for gap and ready to jump. Criminals have nothing but time on their hands they dont have time constraints, no need to watch strava. We are like ants we follow each other or we have set routes(most riders) if I was that way inclined and I had a list of bikes wanted by syndicates  I could choose 1000 routes to sit and wait for the right Dogma to pass me,,,,

Think of a group ride 40-60 bikes together doing the same lap every saturday at the same time,,,its not rocket science to follow any bike you want home from the parking lot

back to my opening,,,africa you want it take it, 

Yes, only people you approve can follow and see your workouts. But I believe that you can still see private people's activities if you go find the activity in the leaderboards?

ok, so I am safe then. no chance of being on a leader board.

but I think I will stay away from strava for a while.

Hi Hubbers, 

As indicated before, you need to set up your privacy settings, also can consider only starting and stopping your ride 1km from your home location

I also generally try not to put info about my bike and / or photos of it on strava

Edited by LeoKnight

some valid points here.

I just cant get my head round strava in terms of it being online and non private.

they recently changed it 

But irrespective of where you are on the leaderboard, your privacy zone does not appear to anyone but (even people who follow you)

I upload to a private garmin account which sends data to strava, strava then applies its own set of privacy rules (based on my selection)

post-38473-0-42351000-1489644597_thumb.png