Garmin Cadence Sensor on a MTB

fanievb

Just checking if someone is using the new cadence sensors on MTB.

The old GSC 10 versions did not like mud and water and as a result did not work well (read last long) on the MTB.

I'm planning on getting a new one for the MTB but I'm concerned about durability, especially the way it's fastened to the crank arm.

garmin-cadence-sensor.jpg

anyone with feedback? (don't want to spend R800 on something that's going to get lost in the bush somewhere)

No Problems , can always add some double sided tape and a cable tie to make sure it does not come loose and a bit of insulation tape over the battery compartment to make sure its well sealed

How is the battery life on these? Thinking of getting one myself but if changing the battery is a pain i might pass on it at this stage.

How is the battery life on these? Thinking of getting one myself but if changing the battery is a pain i might pass on it at this stage.

I've had one on my road bike since they came out in SA and haven't replaced the battery yet. 

tape/ziptie etc is all good and well but then defeats the purpose of being "easily interchangeable"

but I like the gorilla tape idea. 

Changing quite often between bikes and no problem whatsoever,rode in torrential rain and mud  it did not miss a stroke.

The supplied rubber bands works well no additional fasteners needed

Can't comment on battery life.

Made my life easy and cost effective being inter changeable between bikes

The old GSC 10 versions did not like mud and water and as a result did not work well (read last long) on the MTB.

I'm planning on getting a new one for the MTB but I'm concerned about durability, especially the way it's fastened to the crank arm.

anyone with feedback? (don't want to spend R800 on something that's going to get lost in the bush somewhere)

Have you looked at other brands or are you interested in just the garmin one?

I have a sigma cadence sensor on my mtb- the sensor sits above the bottom bar of the rear triangle and is well out of bashing danger, while the pedal simply has a neodymium magnet, so it wont come off. I think its much less likely to get broken with this setup and the sensor has a simple coin-opened backing to replace the cr2032 battery, when the time comes

haven't replaced mine yet in months of weekly usage

Have you looked at other brands or are you interested in just the garmin one?

I have a sigma cadence sensor on my mtb- the sensor sits above the bottom bar of the rear triangle and is well out of bashing danger, while the pedal simply has a neodymium magnet, so it wont come off. I think its much less likely to get broken with this setup and the sensor has a simple coin-opened backing to replace the cr2032 battery, when the time comes

i'd prefer the garmin one purely due to the simplicity of not having to line up magnets etc.

Cable tie those expensive garmin bits - ALWAYS!

it's a bit tight, but can be done.

Take off your pedal.. slip a short piece of road tube over the crank arm so that it covers the sensor (trim edges of needed).  That will protect it from the elements and also keep it from coming loose. Tube shouldn't affect the sensors ability to transmit

K.I.S.S. principle :)

Edited by Griffin

Take off your pedal.. slip a short piece of road tube over the crank arm so that it covers the sensor (trim edges of needed).  That will protect it from the elements and also keep it from coming loose. Tube shouldn't affect the sensors ability to transmit

K.I.S.S. principle :)

8Mw6d.gif

I have one on my MTB, no issues. Battery has gone flat after almost two years, works seamlessly other than that. 

Mud, water, jet wash, soap, no problem.