Dr Evil Classic – the new style of MTB stage race

News bot

There’s a reason Plettenberg Bay is called the Riviera of South Africa. It’s where the well-heeled choose to head to when there’s break in their busy schedules; or where they go to relax during the annual summer holiday. ‘Plett’ has some of the country’s finest beaches, indigenous forests, and a picturesque coastline. It has also developed a growing food and wine culture for the discerning. Oh, and more recently, it’s become a great place to ride a mountain bike.

Click here to view the article

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to this event! First MTB stage race for one of the roadies.

This was the very first cycling event I did when started out. Was told by my old man that I must buy a bike and go ride this "race".

Didn't even know what a 29er was, never mind a stage race. That year the second day was a 90km from Plett UP the pass that K2C comes down, to this day the longest day I had on a bike, 9hours...... came dead last on an alu frame HT. (Edit: Beside DD and a 24h spin.)

Was nice and fat too :)

Edited by Patchelicious

Looking forward to this event! First MTB stage race for one of the roadies.

Its a nice event, I did it three years ago when all three days started at Wittedrift. 

Edited by koukie

Great event.

It is a good first stage race.

The race had a good following from a few locals from Upington, see one above in the picture.

Did two editions from Wittedrif, not nearly fit enough for our "racing" aspirations, burned the whole match box in the first half and cruise the downhill back to Wittedrift.

Don't really get what the innovation is here, basically just a self drive 3 day race based in a single town.

For net the combination with K2C is the big selling point

Looks lekker, but then so do many other events. There are simply too many of the things these days and they are a rip off in many cases.

I am very cost conscious so my money goes to events like the Ezelfontein 3 day event where there is no profit motive whatsoever - all proceeds to local charities - relaxed vibe and free camping. What MTB used to be like.

7592b82550288d370a321ea3e7be1046.jpg
Having got an entry for the event we thought it was time we got the roadie of the team ready for some off road, so on the weekend we went and rode Kirtsenbosch and green belt!

Also, if you have entered the Dr Evil Classic and like Pure Savage and Dr Evil's facebook pages you can win a set of Ciovita 2017 Pure Savage race kit! (In your size :P )

We have not ironed out the T&C's yet, but you get the drift :)

Edited by Pure Savage

The write up is all about the town.

George..Knysna.Plett.

Wildernis

Is all the same.

People try and sell it as natural forest riding but that you can do all over in garden route.

Give kudos to event organisers adding single track riding to their routes and not only a to b riding

• 3 months later...