Hydraulic cable management

Mongoose001

Looks quite neat, with the option of threading through the cable tie. Both around the frame as well as over the hose.

post-104867-0-77989200-1489862274_thumb.jpg

post-104867-0-40000800-1489862287_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait. Are you asking if hydraulic cables are gonna work with your brakes? Is you bike not V brakes?

Yes, Avid Arch Rival V-brakes. I was just wondering if the hydraulic cables would work with them.

I just did some reading regarding rotors and the proper direction. Seems mine has the arrow printed in the opposite direction to the rotor blades.

According to some "Actually you should run them the proper direction, since the struts perform better under under compression than tension, else warping conditions (very rare) can happen."

If i place my rotors in the direction of the arrow then the rotors are facing the wrong direction.

Wierd!

I just did some reading regarding rotors and the proper direction. Seems mine has the arrow printed in the opposite direction to the rotor blades.

According to some "Actually you should run them the proper direction, since the struts perform better under under compression than tension, else warping conditions (very rare) can happen."

If i place my rotors in the direction of the arrow then the rotors are facing the wrong direction.

Wierd!

If you can read the writing on the rotor from the outside then it is right.

All the rotors I've used have looked like they run backwards. I've had no warping issues. I reckon stick to the arrow direction. I'd rather trust the engineers at Shimano over someone on the Internet.

So the rotors may be on the right way round.

The front tyre you want to sort out though.

Oh BTW, are the tyres tubeless?

If not, I'll start saving up for that. Tubeless is expensive, but along with disc brakes and dropper searposts it is the top "upgrade" you can do. So much so that it is a non-negotiable on the bikes in our family.

Bleeding tip: bleed the brakes from the bottom. ie put the fresh oil in front. The syringe on the caliper side. Shimano brakes have seals that roll or fold if you bleed them wrong way and they never feel as lekker again after that.

Edited by PhilipV

Looks quite neat, with the option of threading through the cable tie. Both around the frame as well as over the hose.

The cable tie around the tube negates the purpose of using this part.

I have used them for years. I use a cable tie around the frame for a few hours to make sure the 3M glue sets then remove it. The little cable tie that come with the part then is tightened around the hose to prevent movement and it popping out.

Will keep it in mind. I fitted the cable, a tad bit longer, so had to cut cable length to fit. Pretty easy i must say. Now to bleed the bogger:-) I also just noticed that rotors were fitted facing the wrong direction as well as the front tyre.

Is there a reason the previous owner would fit both rotors facing the wrong direction? Or just a mistake?

I'm not sure it's a mistake. I also thought the same when I was looking at a pair of Avid disks the other day. Turns out I was wrong. There is a small arrow on the disk showing which direction it needs to turn. So just because it looks wrong doesn't mean it is

"If you can read the writing on the rotor from the outside then it is right"

If a place them in the direction of the arrow, then the arrow and words are on the inside of the rotors. Closest the rims. These are not Shimano branded discs, in fact i dont see a name at all.

Wierd!

There was once a batch of discs, can't recall the brand, that got etched on the wrong side. One of my clients wrecked a caliper and a fork as a result of one collapsing. Narrowly avoided a faceplant too.

The correct orientation for a rotor is spokes forward, as in the image below.

BR-Guide-RSC-Brakes-vs-XTR-Trail-1.jpg

Edited by droo

• 1 month later...

Which shops in JHB stock either the BBB-type of "screw-on" or the plastic "stick-on" types of cable/hose guides? Have tried Trail Head, Northcliff Cycles and Cyclelab, no luck yet.