Matjiesfontein to Stellenbosch off road.

DuPs

Hi all, we're thinking of training up to Matjiesfontein and then cycling back to Stellenbosch over 3/4 days, staying in B&Bs or similar along the way. Any suggestions for mostly off road? Would like to do 75 - 135 km per day...

We did this a few years back.  Trains were fully booked with flower tours.  Eventually, we used a kombi bus. Drove up and used the bus as a backup vehicle for the rest of the "tour".  We were spoiled with water points etc.

We had a breakfast at Lord Milner in Matjiesfontein the morning before we started.  Our route went through the Tankwa Karoo.  The problem is there are not guest houses and we made use of the generosity of a farmer 70km away of Matjiesfontein. Which leaves around 100km to Ceres the next day and another 70km to Paarl the day after that.

The 2nd tour was from Sutherland also through Tankwa Karoo to Malmesbury. We slept in tents on the rugby field and also in the middle of Karoo.  In Ceres, we slept in School Hostel.  

This was both cases absolutely awesome days and I have fond memories of both these trips.

I do not know the routes on the other side of the N1 at all.  Might be a better option and worth investigating as the first stop in Tankwa is a problem. 

why dont you catch the train further to Prince Albert and do the last few days of the freedom challenge as a tour ?

i know the RASA organisers do offer that as an option.

Drop Johan Rissik a hubber a message. That dude sleeps under succulent leaves when is not being commando leader.

I dare not translate into his preferred afrikaans, he might come find me and make me drink coffee from a tin cup.

Thanks guys, we're doing our homework now and will keep you posted.

The whole idea of training is that we do not need support vehicles to transport all the bikes.  Last year we were 10 people who made a 5 day trip to the Transbaviaans.  This year we want to be 15, but with only one support vehicle able to transport only 3 bikes...

Unless we get the wives to drop us off in Laingsburg to carry on down the seweweekspoort....

We're keen to spend a night at the Lord Milner though.  After all, it's not only about the cycling...

Hi all, we're thinking of training up to Matjiesfontein and then cycling back to Stellenbosch over 3/4 days, staying in B&Bs or similar along the way. Any suggestions for mostly off road? Would like to do 75 - 135 km per day...

i've done laingbsurg=>paarl over about 5 days. but we rough camped.

for us the train took out a huge chunk of day.

you can either go

north of the n1/ceres.

n1 itself(de doorns/hex river valley)

or montagu=>breede valley

i've done laingbsurg=>paarl over about 5 days. but we rough camped.

for us the train took out a huge chunk of day.

you can either go

north of the n1/ceres.

n1 itself(de doorns/hex river valley)

or montagu=>breede valley

We want to be exposed as little as possible - ie the least amount of tarred roads, especially if no yellow shoulder...

Would love to join if someone has a small group ride

Would love to join if someone has a small group ride

@Grootlem - Off topic but can you publish some of your FullSuss articles

on here as well - I really enjoy some of die k@k praat daarin!

I second that !

YES PLEASE !

We want to be exposed as little as possible - ie the least amount of tarred roads, especially if no yellow shoulder...

your issue then becomes getting to stellenbosch without hitting blacktop at the end of the trip. i would finish at (eg.) Theewaterskloof dam(the yacht club has a lekker bar) and let the bokkies pick you up from there

publish?? you mean like furnish a link??

http://fullsus.co.za/cross-training-en-dinsdae/

You must check next month's kakpraat. Topic for the month is health, cramps.. I wrote about "gatkrampe"