Round Chainrings vs Oval Chainrings

Jackson123

Good day Fellow Bike Lovers :thumbup:

I am currently riding with an 11 speed Ultegra 50/34 Compact crank.

I am possibly considering switching over to oval chainrings but I need a bit of advice before I do so.

When switching over to oval chainrings, do I keep the 50/34 ratio or do I change to 52/36? 

Who had experience with Rotor oval chainrings and with Absolute Black oval chainrings - How do they compare to each other?

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chat to the guys at evobikes. 

They also stock all of the ovals. 

Chris froome rides with rotors, so it can not be that bad. 

I read that the setup takes a while but afterwards it is very nice. Less impact on the knees, and a much more natural movement. 

On the MTB it evens out your torque, to stop you from kicking up dust on accents. 

I would stick to the 50/34 combo on the oval rings.

I used the Rotor Q-rings for a while. What I didnt like was that its a mission to set up, I had the chain drop twice and get stuck between the small ring and frame. Had to remove the cranks to get it out, and it damaged the frame in the process.

Osymetric is another option [this is what Froome rides and not Rotor], these are prices I got a few weeks ago. I might just give it a go again.

50T – R2055

34T – R1665

Contact the guys at info@osymetricsa.co.za

Edited by Veebee

I don't think that there's muh functional difference between various brands anymore.

If there's benefit to oval is debatable, and whether the average rider will notice the difference even more so.

I have a pair of absolute black rings on the tandem - 53/39 - great rings and they have allowed me to drop the 3rd ring off the crank. (including getting up Spitskop and  Long Tom and in Mpumalanga).

I would be tempted to go for the bigger rings, especially if you feel your current rings are holding you back. Does Vereeniging even have hills?

I have done plenty of research on this topic for my MTB. It all came down to, it works for some people and for others it doesn't. 

And it take a few rides to get use to it. 

Osymetric is another option [this is what Froome rides and not Rotor], these are prices I got a few weeks ago. I might just give it a go again.

Thanks for the correction

Don't get oval rings unless you can loan a set from someone.

They are waaay expensive for a maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't item.

I have an absolute black 32t oval on my mtb and lovit, especially on the climbs, but can't justify dropping 3.5k on the roadbike if I'm not 100% certain.

Hi Jackson,

My experience with Rotor has been nothing but good!

I changed my Ultegra 53T to the Rotor 53/39 Set-up in August last year.

I have been up by 15-20 watts on all workouts. Been using them ever since & I won't take them off. I feel much less fatigued with these and they work for me.

I suggest 53/39 set up as it works as a 52 on the up stroke and a 54 on the down stroke or something like that! LOL

I have someone excellent who set them up & I've never had any issues with the chain falling off.

One of the best monies spent for me in my cycling journey so far.

I ride 11spd Ultegra Di2 (11/28)

Bio-pace.......................

Bio-pace had the right idea, but incorrectly executed. Their timing on their ovality was incorrect.

Hi Jackson,

My experience with Rotor has been nothing but good!

I changed my Ultegra 53T to the Rotor 53/39 Set-up in August last year.

I have been up by 15-20 watts on all workouts. Been using them ever since & I won't take them off. I feel much less fatigued with these and they work for me.

I suggest 53/39 set up as it works as a 52 on the up stroke and a 54 on the down stroke or something like that! LOL

I have someone excellent who set them up & I've never had any issues with the chain falling off.

One of the best monies spent for me in my cycling journey so far.

I ride 11spd Ultegra Di2 (11/28)

I would hope your workouts go up by 15/20w in 7months :whistling:

But seriously oval rings skew crank based pm readings. Unless you are using a powertap or smart trainer.

Have you ever ridden on round rings again? That would be the best way to see if there is actually a improvement on power output.