Hip flexor issue when running

Dullscalpel

Has anyone had a similar experience?

When I run, after some time my hip flexors start burning and I get the feeling that they become inflammed. Its an uncomfortable feeling and usually happens to one of them (odd occasion it has happened to both). It also makes it difficult to walk for an hour after. I have tried stretching them before and after a run, as well as doing strengthening exercises, with no differences.

I wish I could say it was due to my long runs, but I am doing short distances at the moment. The hip flexors start acting up around the 4 or 5km mark, which makes increasing distance difficult :(

Any advice?

Edited by Dullscalpel

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably need to warm up and stretch those muscles. Also experienced it a few times. Strengthen your core and glutes as well.

How's your pelvis angled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by stefmeister

Probably need to warm up and stretch those muscles. Also experienced it a few times. Strengthen your core and glutes as well.

How's your pelvis angled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not be stretching enough but I have found that stretching before doesn't make that much of a difference. I am not sure about my pelvis- I will check next time I run. I assume it should be as neutral as possible?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

When I run, after some time my hip flexors start burning and I get the feeling that they become inflammed. Its an uncomfortable feeling and usually happens to one of them (odd occasion it has happened to both). It also makes it difficult to walk for an hour after. I have tried stretching them before and after a run, as well as doing strengthening exercises, with no differences.

I wish I could say it was due to my long runs, but I am doing short distances at the moment. The hip flexors start acting up around the 4 or 5km mark, which makes increasing distance difficult :(

Any advice?

You are not going to like my reply, but this has killed my running. Even went for an arthroscopic hip operation in August, which has improved nothing. In my experience, this is a condition resulting from sitting too much, and even if you stop running, it will get inflamed out of the blue sometimes. Stretching, core strengthening, dry needling and massage usually makes it worse, only thing that makes it go away, is to rest. Which none of us are capable of, so in my case, am learning to live with

pain, enjoying the luxury of a run when I can afford to and riding more now. Sterkte! 

There may be a number of reasons for this. Some have been addressed above.

How long have you been running now? If you're just starting out it's really important to start slow. Running is hard on joints and ligaments. Strengthening them takes time even if you feel like you can easily cover a certain distance (cardio-wise). 

You can google a beginners running program (there are a ton). Most of them start off with a bit of walking and a bit of running. 

You may also want to check your cadence. You may be over-striding. Your steps should be short and quick.

Anyway, like I said, it could be a number of factors but that's where I'd start.

Goodluck!  

Was about to say that Running too much distance & faster efforts may cause this issue. Sort of like the Overuse injuries that plague cyclists knees when they bite off more than they can chew.

My mate started running & because he saw his pace increasing along with his fitness, increased mileage to over 10-15km in very quick time.

Hip flexors gave way, had an op last year, & not able to run anymore.

Build slowly, gradually. Sort of like BASE training.

Also make sure you have the best/ right equipment. (Running shoes)

Edited by AryM

I may not be stretching enough but I have found that stretching before doesn't make that much of a difference. I am not sure about my pelvis- I will check next time I run. I assume it should be as neutral as possible?

Your pelvic tilt is the position it's in when at rest/standing, as per the picture below. You should be able to see it when you look into a mirror.

http://d183r4hu5epjep.cloudfront.net/articles/anterior_pelvic_tilt_guide/Anterior%20Pelvic%20Tilt%20Guide%20and%20Treatment.jpg

Anterior pelvic tilt (APT) is as a result of weak gluteal muscles and being quad dominant. When you are running it could be that your quads/hip flexors are taking too much strain because they are too tight. I suppose cycling can cause that imbalance. But main cause is bad posture. APT can lead to all sort of issues like lower back pain.

just a suggestion to consider, I'm not a doctor or biokineticist, but it is kinda prevalent due to most people spending their day sitting in front of a PC.

Edited by stefmeister

You are not going to like my reply, but this has killed my running. Even went for an arthroscopic hip operation in August, which has improved nothing. In my experience, this is a condition resulting from sitting too much, and even if you stop running, it will get inflamed out of the blue sometimes. Stretching, core strengthening, dry needling and massage usually makes it worse, only thing that makes it go away, is to rest. Which none of us are capable of, so in my case, am learning to live with

pain, enjoying the luxury of a run when I can afford to and riding more now. Sterkte! 

I would much rather hear the truth than make an informed decision than ignore your experience. I am hoping that this next week will be a rest week (going to miss my vitality smoothie though!).

There may be a number of reasons for this. Some have been addressed above.

How long have you been running now? If you're just starting out it's really important to start slow. Running is hard on joints and ligaments. Strengthening them takes time even if you feel like you can easily cover a certain distance (cardio-wise). 

You can google a beginners running program (there are a ton). Most of them start off with a bit of walking and a bit of running. 

You may also want to check your cadence. You may be over-striding. Your steps should be short and quick.

Anyway, like I said, it could be a number of factors but that's where I'd start.

Goodluck!  

I started off with couch to 5k and I started getting issues near the end of programme. When it comes to cadence, who knows! I don't think that I am over striding, but I could be wrong. I will have to see when I run next. I always thought my steps were shorter than everyone else's because I am short. Yesterday, the lady on the treadmill next to me had these major long strides and I couldn't help but think, I wish my strides were that big- I would get there quicker!!

Was about to say that Running too much distance & faster efforts may cause this issue. Sort of like the Overuse injuries that plague cyclists knees when they bite off more than they can chew.

My mate started running & because he saw his pace increasing along with his fitness, increased mileage to over 10-15km in very quick time.

Build slowly, gradually. Sort of like BASE training.

Also make sure you have the best/ right equipment. (Running shoes)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, I definitely don't want this issue!!!! I will definitely take it slow- but I find that I can't increase my distance much after 5kms because of the feeling in the flexor. Maybe that is my body saying, hold on! slow down!

Your pelvic tilt is the position it's in when at rest/standing, as per the picture below. You should be able to see it when you look into a mirror.

http://d183r4hu5epjep.cloudfront.net/articles/anterior_pelvic_tilt_guide/Anterior%20Pelvic%20Tilt%20Guide%20and%20Treatment.jpg

Anterior pelvic tilt (APT) is as a result of weak gluteal muscles and being quad dominant. When you are running it could be that your quads/hip flexors are taking too much strain because they are too tight. I suppose cycling can cause that imbalance. But main cause is bad posture. APT can lead to all sort of issues like lower back pain.

just a suggestion to consider, I'm not a doctor or biokineticist, but it is kinda prevalent due to most people spending their day sitting in front of a PC.

Thanks for the inforgraphic. I think I have a bit of ATP, but not to the picture's extent!! Gotta work on the posture I guess!