Drop bars banned in MTB races?

TDKVerbatim

I recently discovered I will be disqualified from Hill2Hill if I do it on my new gravel/CX bike (and possibly won't even be allowed to start) because it has drop bars which are banned in CSA rules.

Does anyone know of any justification for this restriction?

Is there any way to appeal or bypass this restriction?

Are there any suitable (edit: non-asphalt) races where I would be allowed to compete on the gravel bike?

Edited by TDKVerbatim

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently discovered I will be disqualified from Hill2Hill if I do it on my new gravel/CX bike (and possibly won't even be allowed to start) because it has drop bars which are banned in CSA rules.

Does anyone know of any justification for this restriction?

Is there any way to appeal or bypass this restriction?

Are there any suitable (edit: non-asphalt) races where I would be allowed to compete on the gravel bike?

its a slippery slope.  If they allow drop bars, the next thing you know they will have to allow fixies, and, god forbid, BEARDS!

Drop bars is NOT a mountainbike, its a road bike.

A road bike ridden by a roadie that actually made a mistake and deep down inside wants to be a mountainbiker.

Drop bars on a mountainbike... FFS, go play tennis with a squash racquet, same ***.

only your opinion ^_^

Gents, please note that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about!

Is there not a possibility that this rule was put in place as a "blanket" safety provision, sort of to protect people from themselves as it is easier to ban a specific problem than to convince someone that it is a bad idea to enter the Epic on a CX bike?

Why don't you do a small write-up about the bike and approach the board with a few races where the rule is to be uplifted (even if it is only for a test), in an attempt to show that the bike is suitable for a dirt road?

Could it be a safety thing? On a technical rocky downhill I would be praying the whole way down on a drop bar. Hell, if I'm on my road bike, and I see a rock in the road, my ass starts chewing my seat.