Epic 2019 format??

FCH

Cat is pretty much out of the bag that Epic will run on Ironman format; various races (world events- a birdy chirped North America is getting a visit from the team shortly) with Epic, presumbly being "kona".

But how are they going to divvy up entries then; when overseas races offer entries for top performers; less lottery entries? Eventually none?

Will be pretty grim day when locals need to fly overseas to race to "win" a entry for a race back home.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ai, Epic on my bucket list and I thought it was beyond my financial prowess as is, but if they add an additional qualifying event (with the associated cost) I would probably have to remove it from that list permanently...

**** balls.  Was aiming to try and get into the 2019 one.

If a pain in the ass, would rather use that entry fee for two very cool trail holidays that year, perhaps one in Reunion and the other in the Alps or Canada...  

Why not ask Baas Vermaak what the plan is? As far as I understand it he is now in charge of the MTB program within Ironman.

Am sure a couple of hubbers have his number on speed dial

I don,t understand why they cannot adapt like all the other over subscribed stage races and run another event a day or so later ,and ,God forbid!, have Solo entries too .It is a MTB race after all 

this

Cat is pretty much out of the bag that Epic will run on Ironman format; various races (world events- a birdy chirped North America is getting a visit from the team shortly) with Epic, presumbly being "kona".

But how are they going to divvy up entries then; when overseas races offer entries for top performers; less lottery entries? Eventually none?
Will be pretty grim day when locals need to fly overseas to race to "win" a entry for a race back home.

this is from august 2016 - 

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/south-africa/absa-cape-epic-sold/

" My role in the next years working for Wanda Sports and the Ironman group is to build for them a portfolio of global mountain bike races and the idea at the moment, whilst the plan is still being formulated, is that there will be qualification races around the world in order to get slots at the Absa Cape Epic. Already the race is almost impossible to get into, it’s in high demand. "

Kevbo 

I don,t understand why they cannot adapt like all the other over subscribed stage races and run another event a day or so later ,and ,God forbid!, have Solo entries too .It is a MTB race after all 

The exclusivity is what keeps it going....they're not into getting profits off the entries, but guess what the initial batch sold out in a flash again

sure, the price tag to enter is insane....R75k* ~500 paid entries = R35m this is a lot of money but look at Wanda's value - $115Bn. http://variety.com/2017/biz/asia/wanda-sees-asset-value-hit-115-billion-1201960520/

pretty much knew all the below; still saying its a pity that locals will now become spectators to something they have supported for 15 years.

this

this is from august 2016 - 

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/south-africa/absa-cape-epic-sold/

" My role in the next years working for Wanda Sports and the Ironman group is to build for them a portfolio of global mountain bike races and the idea at the moment, whilst the plan is still being formulated, is that there will be qualification races around the world in order to get slots at the Absa Cape Epic. Already the race is almost impossible to get into, it’s in high demand. "

Kevbo 

The exclusivity is what keeps it going....they're not into getting profits off the entries, but guess what the initial batch sold out in a flash again

sure, the price tag to enter is insane....R75k* ~500 paid entries = R35m this is a lot of money but look at Wanda's value - $115Bn. http://variety.com/2017/biz/asia/wanda-sees-asset-value-hit-115-billion-1201960520/

pretty much knew all the below; still saying its a pity that locals will now become spectators to something they have supported for 15 years.

It'll be terrible, imagine the western cape being the premier mtb eventing location in the world?! all these pesky foreigners riding our secret trails.

They'll all want to come ride jonkershoek.

And spaz will spend more money on the trails to make more of them. and then even more people will come!

it'll be terrible!

The Epic is not everything. There are still options like Cape Pioneer and Trans Cape.

the trans cape is basically an epic clone, you know the old epic, knysna to cape town. for the old timers who want to do the concept, but without all massive entry fee, the hoopla, hype and razzmatazz!

(then ASSG bought it, and put all that back.)

we need to start another one!

what are you on about?

Who is saying foreign riders is a bad thing or should be limited in any way? or that the epic should not be a world class premier event??

If your reading and comprehension skills fall short, send it to a mate and ask them to read my questions and comments amd give you a second, less controversial interpretation.

It'll be terrible, imagine the western cape being the premier mtb eventing location in the world?! all these pesky foreigners riding our secret trails.

They'll all want to come ride jonkershoek.

And spaz will spend more money on the trails to make more of them. and then even more people will come!

it'll be terrible!

It will mean a better quality field at Epic,less drop outs to.

Will increase tourist revenue in the area.So maybe a good thing.

Maybe they should make The Munga the qualifying event :thumbup:  :w00t:

Epic will run on Ironman format; 

Pricing will probably be in Dollars or Euros and make it unaffordable to locals :eek:

what are you on about?

Who is saying foreign riders is a bad thing or should be limited in any way? or that the epic should not be a world class premier event??

If your reading and comprehension skills fall short, send it to a mate and ask them to read my questions and comments amd give you a second, less controversial interpretation.

Criticize a blokes comprehension when you can't pick up blatant sarcasm - sheesh that's rich... :whistling: