Found the reason for constant punctures (I think), but...

Rachmaninoff

I've been getting, on average, two flats per ride. And it sucks...

Always the back tyre and (this part I can't quite explain yet) almost always going downhill (probably because I'm not going fast enough on flats!).

The back wheel is a Bianchi Reparto Corse and there was, what I can only describe as a "bump" each time the area where the white spokes are, hit the ground. I reckoned the wheel needs truing and that it can somehow be linked to the punctures.

Wheel somewhat trued, the flats continued. 

On my last ride, while changing another flat tyre, I noticed that the rim tape seemed to have moved slightly, exposing a sliver of one of the spoke holes. This is, I'm hoping, the cause of the punctures.

I want to buy some rim tape to fix it myself. Are there things to look out for, like a set width or brand that is best?

Muchas gracias in advance.

Edited by Rachmaninoff

Always the back tyre and (this part I can't quite explain yet) almost always going downhill (probably because I'm not going fast enough on flats!).

The back wheel is a Bianchi Reparto Corse and there was, what I can only describe as a "bump" each time the area where the white spokes are, hit the ground. I reckoned the wheel needs truing and that it can somehow be linked to the punctures.

On my last ride, while changing another flat tyre, I noticed that the rim tape seemed to have moved slightly, exposing a slither of one of the spoke holes. This is, I'm hoping, the cause of the punctures.

I want to buy some rim tape to fix it myself. Are there things to look out for, like a set width or brand that is best?

just run a layer of gorilla tape over the rim bed/well?

Get that rim examined by a competent wheel builder first - you don't want to have a safety issue with it.

I suspect that wheelbuilder will have suitable tape for the wheel too.

I hope you're right, but if not try and determine whether these punctures occur at the same spot everytime (in other words check whether the tube/s puncture at the same spot)! It maybe something lodged in the tyre itself like a small piece of glass, etc! Had that with a gatorskin tyre- hell after the 4th puncture I just changed the tyre- problem solved. I then took the tyre and bent it inside out to examine and whala, culprit was a piece of glass! 

I take it you are not tubeless.

In that case, insulation tape about 3x over the spoke holes. I ran my mtb that way when I still rode tubes. The first "upgrade" on my road bike was also to cover the spoke holes with insulation tape.

I hope you're right, but if not try and determine whether these punctures occur at the same spot everytime (in other words check whether the tube/s puncture at the same spot)! It maybe something lodged in the tyre itself like a small piece of glass, etc! Had that with a gatorskin tyre- hell after the 4th puncture I just changed the tyre- problem solved. I then took the tyre and bent it inside out to examine and whala, culprit was a piece of glass! 

^^^^^this

Gorilla tape or Gaffer tap (camera shops) is the best to use. You can also lightly sand the exposed spoke area down if there's a sharp edge as it might cut the tape later. Same thing happened to me a few years ago, it's a very frustrating situation until you find the cause.

Ja, I did do quick roadside assessment after seeing the spot where the rim tape shifted. Seems to be the spot. I'll compare flats and patches tonight!

Reckon I'll try the 3 ply insulation tape this weekend and if that fails, follow V12's advice.

It is a good idea that every time you puncture on a road bike, when you remove the tube you need to line it up with the tire and check the exact spot on the tire or rim where the puncture happened.

You will also start getting an idea of what various types of punctures look like, for example, snake bite or glass piece or something that has rubbed a hole in the tube. Also the puncture will be on the inside or outside of the tube. The inside will obviously be the rim tape or wheel that has caused it. Any sharp corner will rub a hole in a tube eventually.

I had exactly the same issue about 3 years ago with rim tape that had moved slightly, and after replacing it, I have never had another puncture again. This was on my road bike, so not tubeless. I didn't use anything fancy; just normal cheap rim tape.

I had exactly the same issue about 3 years ago with rim tape that had moved slightly, and after replacing it, I have never had another puncture again. This was on my road bike, so not tubeless. I didn't use anything fancy; just normal cheap rim tape.

Same here. I also kept getting punctures, at various stages in a ride, for no apparent reason, only to realise that the rim tape had shifted. Pulled the old crap out, put a new layer on and it has been perfect ever since.

On my last ride, while changing another flat tyre, I noticed that the rim tape seemed to have moved slightly, exposing a sliver of one of the spoke holes. This is, I'm hoping, the cause of the punctures.

if you can, before taping up, sand the edge of the spoke hole down to a nice rounded edge. It won't prevent a puncture if the tape is displaced, but it will reduce the likelihood of it occuring. Just be sure to clean the rim of any filings/results of the sanding down, before taping up. This is just an additional step. Nice robust tape, or even just more tape, is admittedly an easier solution.

Same thing :thumbdown: .

Restored my old Peugeot Classique roadbike in 2015.

Imported a set of 27inch rims and had them built up.

Matched to a set of Panaracer gumwall tyres.

Looked stunning but the punctures drove me nuts.

An average of 2 punctures per ride is enough to put you off your ride.

Turns out a couple of wraps of insulation tape sorted the problem :clap:

Still get the occasional puncture, but I think these are related to the softer rubber compound of the Panaracer tyre and the soft sidewalls.

The things we put up with for a beautiful ride ^_^

Had the same issue many many years ago.  The rim tape did not fit properly and shifted in the ride exposing the hole for the spoke and the tube would press against the rough edging of this hole and quickly give you a puncture.  Replace the rim tape and that was that.  I keep my rims for long.  I have never experienced this problem again.