Zero Tolerance on drug offenders?

hweich

I dont like it when pro's use drugs because it trickles down and eventually i have to race against an amateur who is using drugs.

I was therefore very impressed when i entered the Epic and found that there is a Zero tolerance rule where drug offenders are banned for life.

Yet David George participated this year.

And George Hincapie.

The reason why they were allowed is probably because both were found to have cheated [just] prior to the 31 Dec 2012 cut-off in the rules. I'm not sure why this date was chosen but these riders tarnish the clean image of the race and if my calculations are correct, Lance Armstrong could then enter the Epic....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also supprized to see David George there, but you are right, only people caught doping after 31 Dec 2012 are banned... Which means that Kevin Evans is not allowed to ride but David George is... Where is the justice...

I was also supprized to see David George there, but you are right, only people caught doping after 31 Dec 2012 are banned... Which means that Kevin Evans is not allowed to ride but David George is... Where is the justice...

giphy.gif

This and this....

You see, I think this where the Epic makes a big mistake.

If they did not allow Hincappie and George to ride, the public support would be a lot bigger than the outcry.

If they did not allow Hincappie and George to ride, the public support would be a lot bigger than the outcry.

well is it really?

2018 entries sold out in seconds

I have come to the conclusion that anyone entering must be on payment enhancing drugs, and I could never compete at that level. So I just admire the show.

well is it really?

Yeah look, my point is not about the sales aspect.

Its about the moral/hypocritical/fence sitty one. They say they are anti doping but are they reaalllyy?

Put it this way, if they hadn't allowed Hincappie and George to ride, they would have sold out just as quickly, but they would also have the moral high ground....

I dont hold anything personally against known dopers, in fact ride with one or two regularly in the morning and they are very friendly and nice individuals. But I still dont think they should be allowed to compete in races against those that are clean and trying to make a living from the sports. I know its going to have a financial impact for the individual regarding sponsors. But the sponsors money should be going to young, clean talent. 

There is still a "market" for the past dopers, but I just dont think its at the front of the field taking sponsorship opportunities from clean riders.

What about doing the time for your crime?

In a modern democratic society why release any criminal from incarceration ever? It would be outrageous to think that this is how society operates and I really think it is no different for cyclists.

If the penalty is 6 months, 2 years or 4 years, why should they not be allowed to compete once the time is done? Is that not how civilised society behaves? Rehabilitation being a major advance in mankind from medieval justice?

What is hypocritical is the Epic with their own pseudo rules that are not part of the WADA code.

But as I've said before, the Epic is a private event and they can make any rules they want.

So really no point getting offended and starting threads on a subject that has the most hypocrisy attached to it out of all governance issues in modern life.

Its about the moral/hypocritical/fence sitty one. They say they are anti doping but are they reaalllyy?

Put it this way, if they hadn't allowed Hincappie and George to ride, they would have sold out just as quickly, but they would also have the moral high ground....

Exactly.

fair enough, however as stated in some other thread by someone else, the epic is business and it seems just to be about making the monies, even though it doesn't sit well with the generally public morally, the monies in the bank and the pockets...