So is the Epic getting ahead of itself - elitism in the dining hall

Headshot

Hotels or camper vans mostly

Anyone can sleep in hotels or camper vans if they pay for it.

Remember that the Pro's Sponsors also fork out a lot of money for these things.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can sleep in hotels or camper vans if they pay for it.

Remember that the Pro's Sponsors also fork out a lot of money for these things.

That's true - all the CE does is provide a parking spot - and you have to provide driver, van etc

Hey all.. just to clarify..

The video shows sponsor delegates attending and evening dinner, the same thing happens at every town the race passes through... its a thank you from race management for the sponsors/ town involvement (tolerance) for the event. All these people are very keenly involved, even if not riding..

This video shows no " pro rider" getting preferential treatment/ better food above what he calls "Normal riders"...? The video shows sponsor delegates...

pro riders often don't even dine in the tent, their soigneurs prepare meals for them in a camper... their sponsors pay more for all these benefits... YES!!

They also race harder , THAN " normal riders"

Simple solution here

..if you prefer good food, and pro treatment...

Stop being a "Normal rider"... Just become a "Pro... mtbker"

Now!! Get back to work!!!

Hey all.. just to clarify..

The video shows sponsor delegates attending and evening dinner, the same thing happens at every town the race passes through... its a thank you from race management for the sponsors/ town involvement (tolerance) for the event. All these people are very keenly involved, even if not riding..

This video shows no " pro rider" getting preferential treatment/ better food above what he calls "Normal riders"...? The video shows sponsor delegates...

pro riders often don't even dine in the tent, their soigneurs prepare meals for them in a camper... their sponsors pay more for all these benefits... YES!!

They also race harder , THAN " normal riders"

Simple solution here

..if you prefer good food, and pro treatment...

Stop being a "Normal rider"... Just become a "Pro... mtbker"

Now!! Get back to work!!!

I don't think that's 100% correct - plenty of pro's sit at those tables - whether they eat there or not I don't know.

As a "normal" rider - you cannot get a soft drink at dinner - they sell wine and beer at the entrance (and it's not always available)  but soft drinks are not available - and NEITHER IS ICE or COLD WATER - unless you sit at a sponsors table.

Costing for a trip to a European bike park looks something like this if you go it alone. And I'm going big. If you shop around and you time it right you can get plane tickets for much cheaper.

Eating out is expensive and so are trips to the bar.

Plane Ticket 14000

Airport Shuttle 80 Euro 1200

Catered Accommodation, Breakfast & Dinner 45 pounds a night * 10 8000

10 day lift pass 2500

Visa 1200

travel insurance 1200

lunch out on the trails 2500

A nice new kit 1500

getting wasted every night on supermarket beers 1000

And yet the Epic sells out in seconds. For trails that you can ride pretty much any time of the year. At the driest, brownest, dustiest time of year. Having said that I've never done it so who am I to argue the appeal?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Costing for a trip to a European bike park looks something like this if you go it alone. And I'm going big. If you shop around and you time it right you can get plane tickets for much cheaper.

Plane Ticket 14000

10 day lift pass 2500

Visa 1200

travel insurance 1200

A nice new kit 1500

And yet the Epic sells out in seconds. For trails that you can ride pretty much any time of the year. At the driest, brownest, dustiest time of year. Having said that I've never done it so who am I to argue the appeal?

paying the wife to babysit ......priceless.

From what the experienced people are saying, it would seem that a campervan and your own food would go a long way towards making the experience more comfortable.

Would you pay the money to enter plus the extra just to be comfortable? That's your choice. I would if I could spare it but would have to look past perceived value for money and treat it as a once off experience whereby the cost is not the measure.

Plane Ticket 14000

10 day lift pass 2500

Visa 1200

travel insurance 1200

A nice new kit 1500

R33100 but not for long, the Zuma impact will up that figure rapidly now,

paying the wife to babysit ......priceless.

My vroulief came with last year and took her cooking inspiration from French cuisine. The cost of her ticket was WELL worth it.

I don't think that's 100% correct - plenty of pro's sit at those tables - whether they eat there or not I don't know.

As a "normal" rider - you cannot get a soft drink at dinner - they sell wine and beer at the entrance (and it's not always available)  but soft drinks are not available - and NEITHER IS ICE or COLD WATER - unless you sit at a sponsors table.

Yes V12 man you are correct...

A lot of the "pros "do eat in the tent.... and a lot don't

The pros that do eat in the tent, can just like you ... also not get a cold drink a beer or ice

The confusion here is about, Who the sponsors are...

These are the corporates that sponsor the race to whatever extend they are involved,

And not the sponsors of pro teams... who get preferred treatment..

As stated before!

Chunky out!

Plane Ticket 14000

10 day lift pass 2500

Visa 1200

travel insurance 1200

A nice new kit 1500

Give it a go - you will both love it and hate it....

Speaking of Epic trips.

Are any of you keen for well priced accommodation in Morzine this summer? I have a mate who's rented a house literally 15m from one of the main lifts in Morz. Dates are 1-7 July.

This trip is for Roadies as well as MTBer's. I'll most likely be there with my MTB but will be renting a roadie for 3 days. 

Eeeee...time to head over to the ol' thread....https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126290-want-to-ride-your-bike-in-the-biggest-mountain-biking-area-in-the-world-20/page-139

Were Grant and Amy riding on their own account, or were they sponsored

I think they were sponsored, but still on a budget as they were also auctioning a few items on FB to raise funds.

I think the issue wasn't about buying drinks, it was that there was nothing available to buy if they wanted to.

For me the, the riders are VIPs and not the fatcats that just come for the party.

I think they were sponsored, but still on a budget as they were also auctioning a few items on FB to raise funds.

I think the issue wasn't about buying drinks, it was that there was nothing available to buy if they wanted to.

For me the, the riders are VIPs and not the fatcats that just come for the party.

See, I think there is 2 things happening here, and we probably need to address them separately.

Sponsors are required for these events to take place. Just like Grant and many others needed sponsorships to make their Epics a reality. These "fat cats" that we all love teasing are the ones who help pay for these events.

For this sponsorship, they get returns, this may vary from VIP treatment for some of their bigger clients, media coverage, brand association etc. This is a reality of the world, not just the epic. Just as the sponsored pros and semi pros probably have to give some value back to their sponsors. Now I think its important to remember that sponsorship is NOT always about media coverage, but thats a different topic of conversation. 

Sponsorship and VIP areas are part and parcel of most events (think Golden circle, express queues etc), not just MBTing, we need to understand it, even if we don't like it.

Heres the rub, if the facilities for the riders was not adequate (Im saying if, as I was not there), that is not acceptable and needs to be addressed with the organizers, absolutely. But address it as an issue on its own, don't dilute your stance with cries of elitism.

So in summary:

1: Let the sponsors have their moments, we normal rider benefit from it.

2: If the facilities at a race are not up to standard, make sure the organizers know about.

Edited by Patchelicious