2016 Giant Trance 2 - Fork Question (Fox 32 fit4)

SeanGrey

Hi there, 

Model Fork: Fox 32 Float Performance w/ 15thru-axle, overdrive steerer, 140mm travel. 

(I realize this is not a high grade fork and for a 32 at 140mm its not as good as say a 32 at 100mm) 

Wheels and Tyres: Onza Ibex 2.25 and Giant stock S XC-2

Tyre Pressure front 22/23psi and rear 26psi (up or down a few depending) 

Fork Pressure: recommended around 75 (set to sag) currently at 95 (reason why below) and shock around 155. 

Current weight 77.5kg 

6 turns from the right (rebound) 

Running the stock 75mm stem with 760mm bars and one large spacer above. 

I have been riding for just over a year so Singletrack technique always needs improving. Problem i'm having is down a long section of ST the bike handles great with pro pedal on both fork and shock. Feeling firm but controlled in the front. Body position seems good, elbows bent, weight not too far back and keeping pressure on the front wheel. Switchbacks downhill and cornering good at a decent speed. Keep in mind I have upped the fork pressure to 95 (too high surely?) With that I end a ride with around 3cm or so of space above my spacer no big drops or anything. 

When I put the fork and shock into fully open here is the problem: I feel way less in control of the front end, the shock compresses pretty deep just leaning on it even at 95 psi and round switchbacks and corners it almost dives into its travel. Feeling sketchy compared to half locked (pro pedal) mode. I have come off the front a few times its dived so much into steep stuff. 

The bike is a 2016 model and pretty new only a few months 6/7 old. No service to the fork or shock yet. 

I thought of ordering a volume spacer or two and playing around with that? As I would like to setup the fork based on sag rather than over filling it to 95psi. Otherwise could it just be i'm putting to much weight on the front end around corners? or bad technique? 

Appreciate the feedback? Thought i'd ask here before taking it in and asking the shop. 

Sean 

Fox 32 Float Performance w/ 15mm thru-axle, OverDrive steerer, 140mm travel

So to summarize.

You're dealing with brake dive when your fork is set to open?

Have you tried a shorter stem? I'm not saying its related to the issue.

Just thought I'd point out that if you're enjoying tight and twisty trails like the switchbacks. 

I'd say you'll appreciate some sharper handling that comes with a shorter stem.

I know, I know, the overdrive system limits your options.

But if you're considering a change in fork. Why not kill two birds?

Have you set your low speed compression in the Open position? If it's the FIT4 you should be able to adjust it to give you slightly more support in the middle of the travel. it's the small black knob at the top of the fork. Turn it towards the "firmer" setting and give it a try. Otherwise, contact Droo at Stoke. He should be able to assist you. It may need a service, the compression damper may also be a tad faulty. FWIW the 2013-2015 Performance dampers (CTD - not FIT4) were notorious for this. 

2016-Fox-32-FIT4-XC-suspension-mountain-

Edited by Myles Mayhew

So to summarize.

Just thought I'd point out that if you're enjoying tight and twisty trails like the switchbacks. 

it's a 2016 so it's not the overdrive that has the 1 1/4" stem. It's the new / old / standard 1 1/8. 

I would suggest going to someone like Droo at Stoke and let them have a look. 

Some new forks are not set up very well and often need an oil service out the box! 

Perhaps could do with a good service and tune!

So to summarize.

Thanks, yea I'm going to change to a 50/60mm stem just need to find a good balance. Like twisty steep ST but also enjoy doing the odd race 60/70km on this bike although not made entirely for it, does a great job. Thanks for the reply 

Have you set your low speed compression in the Open position? If it's the FIT4 you should be able to adjust it to give you slightly more support in the middle of the travel. it's the small black knob at the top of the fork. Turn it towards the "firmer" setting and give it a try. Otherwise, contact Droo at Stoke. He should be able to assist you. It may need a service, the compression damper may also be a tad faulty. FWIW the 2013-2015 Performance dampers (CTD - not FIT4) were notorious for this. 

2016-Fox-32-FIT4-XC-suspension-mountain-

Thanks very much. I think I will give him a shout and send it in. I have the 2016 fit 4 version but doesn't have the additional settings. Just open/closed/middle. Hopefully it's something wrong with the fork that can be replaced or adjusted. I have seen other forks with similar pressure (75ish) that seem much harder to compress than mine at 95psi. 

I would suggest going to someone like Droo at Stoke and let them have a look. 

Some new forks are not set up very well and often need an oil service out the box! 

Perhaps could do with a good service and tune!

Thanks, going to give him a shout and send it in. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't entirely my fault and not the fork first haha. 

Volume spacers should help as well.

Yea just spoke to Andrew @ Stokesuspension and he is going to get hold of some and pop them in. Should hopefully be able to then drop to normal pressure and have it perform better in mid travel