Siverback Sido1 vs Scott Spark 940

Braders

Pls help me with info on these two bikes. Battling to choose between the two. The SBK Sido 1 is approx. R12k cheaper than the Scott however, the SBK has very similar XT components and is lighter than the Scott. Not sure I can justify paying the extra for the Scott unless I am missing something? Pls advise. Thanks. 

They are fairly different bikes, the scott is a 120mm travel slacker geo type bike that comes standard with a dropper.

The silverback is a 100/90mm marathon bike. Personally I would pick the scott but silverback is always good value too.

They are fairly different bikes, the scott is a 120mm travel slacker geo type bike that comes standard with a dropper.

The silverback is a 100/90mm marathon bike. Personally I would pick the scott but silverback is always good value too.

Thanks, I've always had a perception that Silverback is an entry level brand. However I noticed some top riders in the Epic riding SBK's. I seem to recall in the ladies race, the team that came 2nd were on SBK's.

Silverback entry level? Measured against which brands are they perceived as entry level? If you are a brand snob (where spez is the biz) everything would be entry level. Not saying you are, just hypothetically stating....

Yes, Mariska and Annie was on Silverback Sesta bikes. Those are Silverback's Concept bike. And at close to R80 000 each, not that much entry level.

Silverback has very good aftersales backup. Very very decent brand and very well specced

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AnythingBut

Silverback entry level? Measured against which brands are they perceived as entry level? If you are a brand snob (where spez is the biz) everything would be entry level. Not saying you are, just hypothetically stating....

Yes, Mariska and Annie was on Silverback Sesta bikes. Those are Silverback's Concept bike. And at close to R80 000 each, not that much entry level.

Silverback has very good aftersales backup. Very very decent brand and very well specced

Thanks for the advice, and apologies if I offended you :) I'm new to MTB and don't know any of the brands too well - that's why I joined the forum to ask for advice. Silverback was not a brand I knew too well and was querying why the Scott was R12k more but with similar specs. Seems like the Sido 1 is best for me.   

Hi there my experience is go for the one you really really want...

if you subconsciously prefer the Scott and get the Silverback you'll always be doubting your choice...

On the scott though,you getting a dropper post and 2x11

I 'm also a Twin lock fan.

All the best with your purchase

Thanks for the advice, and apologies if I offended you :) I'm new to MTB and don't know any of the brands too well - that's why I joined the forum to ask for advice. Silverback was not a brand I knew too well and was querying why the Scott was R12k more but with similar specs. Seems like the Sido 1 is best for me.

No offense taken.

I have been riding a dual sus SBK for 5 years now. Also looking at upgrading to the Sido 2 (I am not strong enough for the 1X setup of the Sido1...)

I am not a Scott fan. They are the toyota of cycling....

I'd recommend the sprada over the sido any day of the week unless you're racing at the sharp end. It's also the correct bike to compare to the new spark.

Slightly more travel, slacker head angle = better bike for Joe average. Gives you more confidence and will be more suitable for more applications.

Last year I purchased a Scott Genius 940, I absolutely love it, changed my riding style slightly being a trial orientated bike, it was on special with it being 2016 bike and I bought it as the 2017 stock came in.

Silverback is definitely not an entry level brand. They are a fairly new brand (if you consider just over 10 years of trading to be new compared to Scott, Giant, etc).

Silverback has come a long way, their head office is based in Germany, their brand is officially global - check their website - their after sales service is exceptional and their bikes are incredible value for money.

As for being strong enough for a 1x setup, this is a common mistake. You don't have to be fit to ride 1x. 

1x is an ultimate trail setup, you never lose torque, power or cadence when shifter as you would from a 2x or 3x when you shift in the front and have to make it up on the rear. 1x provides constant pedaling and a full use and the range of the gears on the cassette.

Having said this, Silverback team that made it to 2nd overall on the Epic were riding SRAM Eagle 1x, so therefore its also just as good as for marathon riding.

The Silverback team spend a lot of time in research and development and if they set that Sido up as a 1x, you better believe that you will get the best out of it.

Lastly, I'm currently riding a Sido 1. Ridden a Sprada for a while as well. The Sprada is an awesome trail machine, more travel in the suspension, slacker head tube for trail riding. 

The Sido, is fast, its nimble and very precise, you won't be sad on spending the money on it.

So you are a brand snob based on this Scott statement?

Hahaha - busted