Price of 2nd hand bikes

hansolo

I'm constantly amazed at the price of some 2nd hand bikes advertised here. Not always the latest model, sometimes with a carbon repair (rim or frame), a few years old and sometimes upwards of R50k! They do come with nice stories of service histories and groupsets with so many kours/km's on them. I would rather spend the money on new bike with a bit less bling (and a warranty) than buy some of the "higher end" second hand bikes advertised here.

Do these bikes actually sell or is sellers just trying their luck?

Willing buyer, willing seller I suppose...

Edited by hansolo

Everyone seems to be trying to get the most value for their bike!

Trying to sell it for what they as owners think it is worth?!

Sometimes I wonder if guys finance bikes and then try and sell it to settle the debt type thing?

Willing buyer, willing seller defn applies!

I doubt the asking price is ever reached for many of these bikes. But you gotta post a higher asking price as, no matter the bargain, there is always some Joker offering way too little. There's great value in many used bikes on the hub, and unfortunately not all of us are in the priviledged position of just going and buying new.

I'm constantly amazed at the price of some 2nd hand bikes advertised here. Not always the latest model, sometimes with a carbon repair (rim or frame), a few years old and sometimes upwards of R50k! They do come with nice stories of service histories and groupsets with so many kours/km's on them. I would rather spend the money on new bike with a bit less bling (and a warranty) than buy some of the "higher end" second hand bikes advertised here.

Do these bikes actually sell or is sellers just trying their luck?

Willing buyer, willing seller I suppose...

dunno about that. (i assume we're talking mtbs)

if you filter for only R50k up, then it's mainly bikes 1/2 years old. and i would hazard a guess that okes are either mainly just moving to later models or want to shift it before it loses even more value. 

thing is, aparnetly there are loads of people spending R100k up on a mtb. so seeing the second hand market with bikes from R50k to R80k isn't really that bizarre

I sold my tallboy 2cc now for close to R50k yes it does seem like a lot of money until you go and look at the replacement value. New that build would cost you over R80k and then go to the shops and see what you actually get for under 50k new. You can't compare the 2. I personally like building my own bikes and in the second hand market you just get so much more bang for your buck(if you do your homework). Yes new you do get warranty but that doesn't cover near as much as you might think. At the end of the day it all depends on you but for me I am happy with second hand less money to lose and you ride it like you stole it as to new bikes you always ride more careful as to try and not get marks on it.

I sold my tallboy 2cc now for close to R50k yes it does seem like a lot of money until you go and look at the replacement value. New that build would cost you over R80k and then go to the shops and see what you actually get for under 50k new. You can't compare the 2. I personally like building my own bikes and in the second hand market you just get so much more bang for your buck(if you do your homework). Yes new you do get warranty but that doesn't cover near as much as you might think. At the end of the day it all depends on you but for me I am happy with second hand less money to lose and you ride it like you stole it as to new bikes you always ride more careful as to try and not get marks on it.

I do agree with you, if it was a top spec bike for R50k it would be a good buy. There is some 2nd hand bikes that might still need some upgrade. Personally I would spend that amount of money for a bike with a Fox32 and no dropper post.

One must also look at what brand bike it is. One cant compare the price of say a top Italian brand with some lower priced brands. Nothing wrong with the lower priced brand though.

Then the group set. Same spec level are not always the same price level.

My road bike is up for sale at less than half of what I paid a couple of years ago. Still in good condition as it was not used much but I will not get much for it.

Willing buyer ... willing seller ....

BUT, buyers should also do their homework ....

saw a 2016 model bike in the classifieds for 15k MORE than the dealer had that same model on the floor 2 months ago - heavily discounted 2016 model as the 2017 model was standing next to it ....

I doubt the asking price is ever reached for many of these bikes. But you gotta post a higher asking price as, no matter the bargain, there is always some Joker offering way too little. There's great value in many used bikes on the hub, and unfortunately not all of us are in the priviledged position of just going and buying new.

Dude, I had some clown offer me an iPhone 7 for a Giant Trance advertised at just over R20k.

Long sob story about how he wants to ride but doesn't have cash, etc, etc.......

Dude, I had some clown offer me an iPhone 7 for a Giant Trance advertised at just over R20k.

Long sob story about how he wants to ride but doesn't have cash, etc, etc.......

:lol: :D :lol:

It's one thing for higher end where depreciation kicks in hard and 50k for second hand buys a lot more bike than 50k new. How are the classifieds generally perceived for lower end, as in can you get mid range at entry level new prices?

haaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha. deep breath. hahahahahahahaha

And, on 'tuther side, on trying to sell my Thorn Sterling with EBB and full Rohloff hub system in PE recently, I get a "generous" offer of R2000 (two thousand rand only)!!!