National Records tumble at Track Champs in Bellville

News bot

Terrible article. Mentioning nothing about the U15 Girls, or is it not important to mention records broken in the younger categories?

Edited by Wil6

The racing starts at 17:00 today.

No gate/entrance fees.

Edited by ChrisF

Total lack of organisation, last minute rearrangements of schedule, no control of the track when crashes happen, and would someone please organise the guy on the mike a pair of glasses as he's clueless.

They should have watched Paarl 6 to learn how to organise a well run track event.

Edited by Phatman

Total lack of organisation, last minute rearrangements of schedule, no control of the track when crashes happen, and would someone please organise the guy on the mike a pair of glasses as he's clueless.

They should have watched Paarl 6 to learn how to organise a well run track event.

Some hard words ....

pretty sure you are factually correct.

But I do believe the organisers are volunteers with full time jobs ....  (at least I know that was the case two years ago)

Some hard words ....

But I do believe the organisers are volunteers with full time jobs .... (at least I know that was the case two years ago)

This is SA Champs, not some minnow event. If they're using volunteers then CSA seriously needs to get their act together. There was a crash during this morning's team pursuit (Chrispin Fourie and Robin Harris fell hard) and the other team kept lapping and trying to squeeze between riders and medics as nobody could tell them what to do.

The last straw for us was the MC saying "And it's umm... I'm not sure because I don't have my glasses on..."

Whilst I don't disagree with your comments, but perhaps you should organize your own event and let's see how smooth everything goes...? 

Whilst I don't disagree with your comments, but perhaps you should organize your own event and let's see how smooth everything goes...?

Thing is, this is SA Champs, and cycling is what CSA do. Paarl 6 was a privately organised event (to the best of my knowledge) and that ran beautifully, so it is possible.

The ability to do a better job has never been a prerequisite for identifying a poorly done job. That argument holds no water.

Some hard words ....

But I do believe the organisers are volunteers with full time jobs ....  (at least I know that was the case two years ago)

How is it that these guys are volunteers? Same as for the WP events.  Where do the WP cycling and CSA membership fees go then?

Went out for the evening. Some fully enjoyable racing.
Sad to see so little spectators, as anyone from any faction of cycling would have enjoyed the night and might have been there with wider advertising.
My non-cycling wife was quite upset when the madison was over so quickly (40km in 46min btw!!)

How is it that these guys are volunteers? Same as for the WP events. Where do the WP cycling and CSA membership fees go then?

Go look at their financials if you are really interested. Maybe on their websites, otherwise email them [emoji106]

Went out for the evening. Some fully enjoyable racing.

Sad to see so little spectators, as anyone from any faction of cycling would have enjoyed the night and might have been there with wider advertising.

My non-cycling wife was quite upset when the madison was over so quickly (40km in 46min btw!!)

we were there from 17:00 to 18:00.  The (almost) 6 year old really enjoyed the racing !

Spoke to a friend who was one of the orginisers a few years back .... new crew doing it this year.  So yes, lessons learnt.  Pretty sure they  will do better next year.

One small tumble last night at about 17:30 - people were there QUICKLY, and got the rider out the way before the others even completed a lap.

Even the commentator was better than previously reported.  Only error I spotted was when he got the two Smit's names wrong once, and he quickly corrected himself.