Road Bike of the Year 2017: Specialized Roubaix

nonky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a bike with so much comfort, shocks and disc brakes, then just buy a mountain bike.

Or an awesome road bike, that can devour super long rough sections of cobbles, dirt or loose gravel not only tar like SA roadies are used to! 

If you want a bike with so much comfort, shocks and disc brakes, then just buy a mountain bike.

Mountain bikes are too slow on the road, this isnt as comfortable as a mountain bike but its also a whole lot faster.

very interesting concept !!

for the tech junkies - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

on my commute the side of the roads is bad enough that my wrists takes a beating on a rigid bike.  With a mountain bike with the shock locked, but with minimal travel, those bumps are soaked up.

Adding that comfort to a road bike is a brilliant idea.

But then, I do like to get onto the pavements to stay clear of the cars ... wonder how well this bike will be at this ....

Stop being such babies, you can't moan about innovation, it's going to happen, some ideas will stick and others won't.

This concept looks interesting, but how will you slam your stem???

I'm going to be in the market for a new road bike sometime soon, but think I will skip on this Roubaix. To many add on's that over time will just cause grief imo and never mind the extra weight that comes with.

While I appreciate what Spaz are trying to do, I think they are going overboard. It's not a suspension which improves traction or bike handling and comfort instead it's just adding flex / spring to the rider interface areas.

Disc brakes plus the above mentioned comfort parts... are they really nessecarry for normal road riding, not unless you live on a vrystaat farm with no tar road in sight or maybe in the DRC.... but then maybe a real mtb would be better.

Looks like if I want a Roubaix I'll have to stick to my 12 or 13 year old Specialized Roubaix

I'm out

Saw close-up footage of that stem thingie

Looks so counter-intuitive in terms of maintaining steering control

Reviews are superb

Sagz and Boonen, amongst others, will be rolling it at The Hell'

I'm going to be in the market for a new road bike sometime soon, but think I will skip on this Roubaix. To many add on's that over time will just cause grief imo and never mind the extra weight that comes with.

While I appreciate what Spaz are trying to do, I think they are going overboard. It's not a suspension which improves traction or bike handling and comfort instead it's just adding flex / spring to the rider interface areas.

Disc brakes plus the above mentioned comfort parts... are they really nessecarry for normal road riding, not unless you live on a vrystaat farm with no tar road in sight or maybe in the DRC.... but then maybe a real mtb would be better.

Looks like if I want a Roubaix I'll have to stick to my 12 or 13 year old Specialized Roubaix

I'm out

Surely a test ride would be the only sensible way to evaluate these innovations. 

Saw close-up footage of that stem thingie

Looks so counter-intuitive in terms of maintaining steering control

Reviews are superb

Sagz and Boonen, amongst others, will be rolling it at The Hell'

Boonen's bike (at least) has a "much stiffer" shock/spring than the stock bike.  That's by reporters who've touched his bike.

I wonder if "much stiffer" means "solid"?

If Boonen on cobbles wants a much stiffer spring, what would a 100 kg rider on gravel need?

very interesting concept !!

for the tech junkies - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

on my commute the side of the roads is bad enough that my wrists takes a beating on a rigid bike.  With a mountain bike with the shock locked, but with minimal travel, those bumps are soaked up.

Adding that comfort to a road bike is a brilliant idea.

But then, I do like to get onto the pavements to stay clear of the cars ... wonder how well this bike will be at this ....

What's old is future again

• cannondale headshock
  • girvin flexstem
  • redshift shockstop