Wheeler dealer, or everything new?

mecheng89

Hi Hubbers!

The Hub (and other dodgy scam-infested websites like GumLX and Otree) is a treasure chest of cycling classifieds (and more besides, like motorcycles  :eek: ). Sometimes you can find real gems like bikes at a steal, solid wheels for a giveaway price and smaller components for next to nothing.

What I was wondering this weekend was this: are Hubbers more likely to purchase new or used? Do they sell whatever they can just to acquire that one special component? I have come to the realization that I am the consumer that sells and buys again, not accumulating much stuff. For example: I sold a bike (at a steal) to purchase another bike (from a shop, new). Subsequently, I sold that bike and bought some new wheels and other things besides, leaving my N+1 result a very lowly figure. Effectively I am a wheeler dealer. 

What do you do? 

Edited by mecheng89

I buy new stuff with the intention of selling some of the old stuff off, it seldom happens in the end!

Same.  Buy new stuff intending to sell.  Brain goes: Hmmm, but what if you stumble upon a cool frame and then you're going to need this again...

I let go of the "old" stuff, so I can invite "new" stuff in.

:thumbup:

Edited by Lighthouse

:w00t: 

I buy new stuff with the intention of selling some of the old stuff off, it seldom happens in the end!

hahaha

me too I now have way more wheelsets than bikes

im waiting for the wheel shortage crisis to kick in then ill make a killing :thumbup:

hahaha

me too I now have way more wheelsets than bikes

im waiting for the wheel shortage crisis to kick in then ill make a killing :thumbup:

Its nice to go through it sometimes just to look at it. I love bike stuff, just seems wrong to get rid of it.

Its nice to go through it sometimes just to look at it. I love bike stuff, just seems wrong to get rid of it.

yeah im turning into a campy wheelset collector without actually admitting it :whistling:

I'm all for wheeling and dealing. It takes helluva long time, but is so much fun researching, searching and then eventually finding that perfect part. And at a decent non-bikeshop price.

And it gets you clued up irt what to look for buying second hand.

Same.  Buy new stuff intending to sell.  Brain goes: Hmmm, but what if you stumble upon a cool frame and then you're going to need this again...

Same .... I have a pair of grips I took off the one of my bikes ... so essentially it is the start of a new bike build project  :ph34r:

I hold on tooooo long ...

By then the technology has moved on ....

Starting to do the trade in thing.

Maar die rak is al weer vol ...

I work on a large trade deficit as I live in the middle of nowhere so selling is just too much trouble. 

Same .... I have a pair of grips I took off the one of my bikes ... so essentially it is the start of a new bike build project  :ph34r:

I'm one up on you, I have the grips and handlebar... carbon Specialized bar nogal :)

All my stuff I use on a daily basis is secondhand (camera, MTB, cell phone, laptop, monitor, Garmin... it goes on). 

Saved so much money in the long run. As for cycling, I will buy the drivetrain new (cassette, chain, chainring).

But yeah, secondhand all the way for me here.  :thumbup: