Shimano Trigger shifter fitment on Deore brake levers?

FrikkieMeyer87

Hi Guys,

I should start by saying that until this weekend, I haven't been on a bike in about 13 years (since school days) when a Raleigh M-Trax was the coolest thing around, so please forgive me if my knowledge is a little limited and perhaps leads to me asking dumb questions. I promise I'm a quick learner :D

A good friend of mine gave me a GT Avalanche 0.0 (I know, old as balls) to get back in the swing of things, and ever since he told me that I'll be getting it, I've been looking at what it's got, and what I might like to change. The first of these would be replacing the current v-brakes with some entry level disk brakes. The frame and hubs are good to go in terms of fitment possibilities (shimano hubs with 6x bolt fitment), but my question pertains to the brake levers currently on the bike, and how replacing these will affect the fitment of my existing shifters.

From what I could see, the existing shifters are fitted to the brake levers, which in turn are fitted to the bar. The nature of this fitting is still foreign to me, as is whether, and if and if so, which hydraulic lever will enable me to maintain this fitting? The Deore range is pretty vast in terms of models, and I have no idea what to look for in terms of being able to retain my existing shifters.

I realize that the bike is worth about R4.65 and fitting anything other than a smiley face sticker to it might be overcapitalizing, seeing as Gumtree is rife with second hand bikes with disc brakes fitted for less than the average disc brake kit, but I'm just exploring the possibility in the hopes that someone rips their stock brakes off to upgrade, and then sells it to me for a steal :D

Thanks, and have a good one!

You would unfortunately have to get either bar mounted shifters, or ispec shifters - which mounts to your brakes. 

Here's the problem - finding new shifters for your current gears.  What number of gears / gear setup do you have on your bike?

Also a good idea to introduce yourself on the forums - it will count in your favour, since you are new.

some pics would me nice.

I suspect that the brake levers and shifters are a unit and when you want to replace one you have to replace the whole thing i.e. new shifters and brake levers. (see pic below)

1950553_1.mdnbazshbp.jpg

You would unfortunately have to get either bar mounted shifters, or ispec shifters - which mounts to your brakes. 

Here's the problem - finding new shifters for your current gears.  What number of gears / gear setup do you have on your bike?

I would have to double check when I get home this afternoon. I fear that in the end I might end up having to buy and fit a whole groupset, which would obviously set me back way more than the bike is even worth.

UPDATE: I'm fairly certain this is about the same: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/243063-shimano-deore-3-x-9-complete-groupset/

Also a good idea to introduce yourself on the forums - it will count in your favour, since you are new.

Yeah for sure, I know I'm working a bit backwards at the moment :) I'll write a proper intro in a bit

some pics would me nice.

I suspect that the brake levers and shifters are a unit and when you want to replace one you have to replace the whole thing i.e. new shifters and brake levers. (see pic below)

1950553_1.mdnbazshbp.jpg

Another case of overeager-me unfortunately, I only have a pic of the full bike at the moment that I took when I returned from my ride yesterday. I'll shoot the shifters and levers this afternoon.

http://i.imgur.com/zn6oZSj.jpg

Edited by FrikkieMeyer87